Its official I hate TICKS ......

STINGER

Its official I hate TICKS ......

Post by STINGER » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 am

the ticks are insane ......... never in my life have I seen them so bad ........ my pup cannot go to the edge of the yard to poop without getting at least one deer tick on her ....... no exaggeration ....... 30 seconds outside and guaranteed to have a tick ........ in the 7 weeks shes been here with us Ive pulled hundreds of ticks off her ....... one right now is so close to her right eye I cant dare risk the tweezer pull ...... I'm smothering it with vaseline in hopes it backs out ....... here in SEPA ticks are historically bad but this year is like nothing I've seen ........ the stuff my vet has her on "REVOLUTION" isn't doing anything to prevent them and I need a switch ........

begging for recommendations ........ HELP

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Its official I hate TICKS ......

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 am

The medication you use do not keep them off of a dog but rather kill them before they attach normally. Just because you see ticks on your pup does not mean the medication is not working.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 pm

REvolution is not advertised to work on deer ticks - only dog ticks.

"REVOLUTION for DOGS: Can be used on dogs from six weeks of age and protects against flea eggs, adult fleas, ear mites, American dog tick, heartworm, and sarcoptic mites. Kills grown fleas and prevents hatching of flea eggs one month; designed to prevent and control infestations (Ctenocephalides felis)." quote

https://www.google.ca/search?q=REvoluti ... lution+dog&*

Try Advantage 2( pesticide oil you apply to the skin) or Nexgard ( more expensive but a simple pill). Both work on both kinds of ticks and fleas.

I use Nexgard for fleas and ticks , and Heartgard for heart worm.

Bonus hint as Spring is approaching where I live:

heartworms:

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Sharon wrote: Try Advantage 2( pesticide oil you apply to the skin) or Nexgard ( more expensive but a simple pill). Both work on both kinds of ticks and fleas.

I use Nexgard for fleas and ticks , and Heartgard for heart worm.
Me, too. Good advice.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 am

To get an attached tick off put a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid on a cotton ball and rub tick in circles counterclockwise tick will come off intact. To keep ticks off I have had very good luck with tags for cows that I get at tractor supply they are purple. I cut them down and attach to dog color with zip ties. I have also sprayed with 50 50 water and apple cider viniger. I stopped frontline was not working switched to tags for last 2 years with good results in heavy tick area.
mm

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 am

From you post, I could not tell how large your yard is, but I have about an acre and I spay it with a hose sprayer with liquid Sevin. It is pet safe and people safe and kill ticks and most other pests...I do it once a month during tick season....

One of my Golden Retrievers came down with some form of tick infection/ disease some time ago. He was initially misdiagnosed as the blood test gave a false negative. After almost losing him, and new vet rechecked for the disease and found out that was what was making him sick. We saved him, but it was touch and go.....we think he got the tick at a Hunt Test we ran in Arkansas....

Good Luck

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 am

Yeah, they are becoming quite the pain in Wisconsin as well. What once was an "up north" thing is now pretty much statewide. Many people in the southern part of the state have had no experience with ticks and are caught by surprise when they find one. My property in the northern part of the state must be a breeding ground. It is impossible to keep count of all the ticks I pull off of myself in the average day.

My vet recommended Vectra 3d for my GSP and overall I was very happy with the results. Within a couple weeks of application the dog would come back pretty clean whereas without treatment the number of ticks would probably be close to or over 100. The last couple weeks of the treatment it would no longer completely repel them from attaching, but would still kill any that did attach.

I am considering Bravecto for my next pooch and if I recall, the Saresto collar has been a favorite of a few around here.