Parvo question

SouthernTied

Parvo question

Post by SouthernTied » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 am

Back story. I picked up a second GSP from a pretty well known plantation. He is now 5 months old and up to date on EVERYTHING. Thursday night he was fine running marks and what not. Friday morning i woke up to a god awful smell at 4am and he was covered head to toe in blood and fecal matter. I called the vet immediately and he was admitted. We have 6 other dogs at our residence(all a year or older) plus 14 at the kennels. The sickly one has never been to the kennels but 3 of the dogs from the house go daily. I took everything the puppy had and bleached it and threw away what was necessary to keep. How likely is it that the older dogs could possibly be affected by this?

dog dr

Re: Parvo question

Post by dog dr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 am

if they have been vaccinated at all, the chances of an older dog getting sick with parvo is very slim. Are you sure its parvo?? the vet should be able to rule that in or out in about 5 min.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm not a vet. Years of experience is treat parvo like a plague. Dealt with Parvo to much in 80's and 90's. Couple of years back a friend was hit with parvo. He lost 25 pups. As vet said if your older dogs are vac. you should be OK, hopefully. Bleach the hech out of everything. House , kennel, etc. Parvo can sweep like wild fire.

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:48 am

The vet called this morning and left a voicemail. It was explained that this strain of parvo was pretty strong ever for vaccinated dogs(such as the pup who had it) I am taking my 11MO GSP to the vet tomorrow for testing even though he has no current symptoms I'd prefer catch it early as possible. Like was previously stated the original dog went from normal to nearly dead in a span of 12 hours. Luckily the good to this is as of today at 8am the puppy being treated was up and running around the vets office. They're going to try to ween him off of the fluids over the next 2 days and if hes holding down food and water he will be coming home.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Pretty nasty stuff. Heard it hangs around for quite a while.
Had 2 grayhound pups in the late 70's one got it one didn't. Back then they just sent you home and said good luck. The one that didn't catch it ended up at 85 plus pounds. The one that caught it was under 70 pounds.
I didn't raise any pups for a few years to make sure and not go through it again.