Snake Bite

Garrison

Snake Bite

Post by Garrison » Tue May 30, 2017 10:04 pm

IMG_2354.JPG
Was having a nice Memorial Day BBQ at my parent's house and my sister's dog got it in the face yesterday afternoon. Pretty swollen and a little lighter in the wallet but she is back at home and doing ok. Vet thinks the rattlesnake vaccine and getting her to them so quick made a big difference. There was another dog there that got in to one also and was in some tough shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Meller

Re: Snake Bite

Post by Meller » Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 am

Scary time!
Was it a Rattler that bit them?

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 am

Glad the pup is doing well............

My Golden is allergic to onions....when she gets in some she swells up in the face just like this snake bite.....fortunately as a waterfowl dog in Missouri, the snake are not out when we hit ducks and geese....

Good Luck

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 am

Meller wrote:Scary time!
Was it a Rattler that bit them?
Yeah, my parents live on an avocado farm and they find them from time to time, she was scheduled to go to snake breaking but didn't get to it in time.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed May 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Yikes. Glad she is doing ok. I'm worried about rattlers from about April into November around here.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm a little curious ... if you know, what type of rattler was it? The vaccine company makes it clear it will only work on some varieties, but many vets say it just might help - a bit - with all types. Glad it's going well. I'm a believer but hope I never learn this one the hard way.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 pm

We didn't find the snake, but we have found both Southern Pacific and Red Diamonds on the property. The fang marks were pretty wide apart so I am guessing red diamond.
- Mark Twain-

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:38 am

Scott Linden wrote:I'm a little curious ... if you know, what type of rattler was it? The vaccine company makes it clear it will only work on some varieties, but many vets say it just might help - a bit - with all types. Glad it's going well. I'm a believer but hope I never learn this one the hard way.
Only type of rattler it does not help on is the Mojave Green rattler. Some vets say it may even help on that one.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am

There is a Vet here in town "Atascadero" that is treating one dog per day for rattle snake bites!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am

As I recall the Southern Pacific has both hemo and neuro toxins. I would think if he was hit by one of those it could have the same effect as a Green Mohave. Did the vet give him Crofab?

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 pm

reba wrote:There is a Vet here in town "Atascadero" that is treating one dog per day for rattle snake bites!
that is scary. Last week i was at Santa Marurita working at the Cat show. Ran my dog 30 minutes every morning and evening in the tall grass meadow. Never thought of rattlers over there. She is 3 times snake trained and vaccinated

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Went out Friday to look at recovery of a big fire we had just east of town last year. Grasses were lush and chokecherry and aspen was sprouting. Thought about running the dogs but saw two bull snakes and a rattler on the roads so decided not too.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Glad she's ok.It's going to.be a bad snake year in.California
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson