TPLO recovery boredom

fishyscent

TPLO recovery boredom

Post by fishyscent » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Just finished up with a TPLO and partial meniscus removal on my 5 year old GSP.

Literally 3 days after surgery my shorthair is feeling like a new man and ready to rock. Quite amazing how tough these dogs are.

Obviously he has to stay grounded for the next few months. Just wondering if any of you have been through this and how you kept your dog from going crazy ?

It's going to be a long summer.

Thanks-
John

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: TPLO recovery boredom

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:13 pm

My 11 1/2 year old setter has had 2 TPLOs. No easy answers to recovery time activities. Check with your surgeon ; I remember lots of walking being allowed after ..... weeks.
Also I think I remember the physiotherapist saying that slim dogs who were fit athletes before the surgery recover more quickly. Ask the physio what can be done. ( I didn't sign up for 6+ weeks of treatment ,but one - 2 appts is very informative.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

High Voltage

Re: TPLO recovery boredom

Post by High Voltage » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm

We had a lab have the TPLO done when she was just over a year old. This was over 18 years ago so I don't remember everything we did but I do remember taking her swimming almost every day once she had the vets OK. Luckily we have lakes close by we could take her to.