Elbow Dysplasia in Dogs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Elbow Dysplasia in Dogs

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Anyone have personal experience with this? What was recommended and what worked? My 11 1/2 year old setter has this and is walking on 3 legs. Her hard running days may be over. See the surgeon next week.
( Not due to genetics; due to working hard all her life.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Elbow Dysplasia in Dogs

Post by shags » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:16 pm

No personal experience, but wanted to wish your old girl the very best, and hope she regains function.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks Shags. Xrays next week. I hope it isn't the end of her running days as that will be very hard for both of us to accept.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Had the xray to day. Just bad arthritis in one elbow. Metacam and a pain reliever should help. Apparently laser treatments would make a big difference, but not sure I can afford that.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:40 pm

That sounds better than elbow dysplasia.

My old dog had terrible arthritis from carpal stress fractures...his carpal areas were two giant knobs of non-bendy bone. The ortho at Ohio State recommended Dasuquin MSM and fish oil caps daily. It seemed to help. Also, my vet just told me that he has a new nsaid that doesn't require liver/kidney testing because it works differently from carprofen et al. I don't remember the name of it, but maybe ask your vet. My vet has had good results with it.

Best wishes, I hope your old girl gets some relief and has many good hunts in her.