Swollen Hock

Waterfowler21

Swollen Hock

Post by Waterfowler21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:29 am

Not sure what happened with my Vizsla yesterday but last night she started hobbling around not letting her back left leg touch the ground. We had a pretty normal day went to the park and played fetch etc. The only thing different is we were near my apt and a fellow walked by with two pit mixes and they all played for 5 mins or so. I am thinking maybe one of them stepped on her or possibly she just landed wrong or twisted it. Walking back to the apt she did not have a limp but after taking an hour nap inside she got up and I noticed the limping. I laid her down and lightly felt along her leg and found it was her hock (ankle). She didn't put much pressure on it the rest of the night and I noticed it had swollen up too. This morning I took her out potty and she was putting some pressure on the leg thankfully but you could tell she was still being careful with it. The swelling was still there too.

How long should I give it before I go to the Vet? Is this something I should get an Xray for? I don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars if this is something to give another day or two before taking her in.

**Update this morning my wife called and said it is still swollen but she isn't gimping around as much and seems somewhat normal...sooo no Vet?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Swollen Hock

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Only problem with waiting is that if something is broken or torn , scar tissue starts to form immediately ; this makes fixing it more difficult.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Sharon wrote:Only problem with waiting is that if something is broken or torn , scar tissue starts to form immediately ; this makes fixing it more difficult.
Would she be able to even walk on it if something was torn/broken?

I have never had this happen so just curious if it needs immediate attention or it is something to wait on another day or two.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Amazing how dogs will keep going even when injured. I had a dog attacked by a deer- side torn up- and she kept hunting. I didn't notice till she came back later.
Your decision entirely.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Prescription anti-inflamatory drugs work, and the sooner the better.