Pet insurance?

vtjeeper

Pet insurance?

Post by vtjeeper » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:05 am

What are people's opinions on pet insurance? What company do you use? Of course as with insurance it's a cost for something you hope to never use. Just was think about getting it for my Lab between hunting hazards ( barbed wire and such) and home hazards (tend to want to taste everything). She has been professional trained to hunt. I am kind of looking at it as protecting the investment too.

Gertie

Re: Pet insurance?

Post by Gertie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:35 am

I had it for a while but got rid of it. I had PetsBest and the deductible was $200/incident and it seems like it was in the ballpark of $35-40/month for one dog (that included some wellness stuff). It seemed like every time we went in for something that happened in the field (stitches usually), the bill was right around $200 so I'd end up eating the majority of the costs anyway. I decided it was easier to set a little bit aside every month into a savings account for accidents and I got the Care Credit card (http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/) in case something major happens. I haven't had to use the card yet but it's nice to know it's there. Anyway, my two cents...
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm

I use it. I believe in saving for emergencies , but my husband is not a dog person so won't spend more than $50.00 on emergency dog care ( " Just put him down.") :roll: .... He's a great guy otherwise. :)
He can't argue with the insurance out of my "allowance ".

I use Pet Plan for the 3 year old. Emergency/specialized treatment only , ( not regular vet stuff). $37.00 a month . $8000. a year max. $100.00 deductible.
Too expensive for the 10 year old.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 pm

I use Embrace for all 3 of my pups. 75% coverage for anything over $250, up to $10,000 per dog. Cost $52 a month total. Used it twice and already paid for it self plus a bunch.

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Healthy Paws 200 yrly ded covers 90% no max cap. Covers Holistic stuff. I have had it on my 2 gsps and am Happy. 60.00 for the 2 of them

desperado213

Pet insurance?

Post by desperado213 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 am

I use Healthy Paws as well and it is great! I pay $30 a month for 90% reimbursement and $200 yearly deductible. Whenever I have an incident I just take a picture of the vet bill and upload it to the app and they reimburse me within 3-5 days no questions asked. It covers incident and disease, hip dysplasia, cancer... Ect. Your rate is based on your location and dogs age and other factors. I had my policy under my parents address at first and it was $40 a month (they live more in the city) and when I moved it to my rental address on the outskirts of the city it dropped to $14.
Last edited by desperado213 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:17 am

I use Pets Best through Progressive and pay $50 a month for unlimited annual coverage with 90% reimbursement with $100 deductible. Really comes in handy when it comes to the big stuff like cancer treatment, acl injuries, xrays, anthesia, etc.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

overit2

Post by overit2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 am

Some of your guys rates are great! I'm wondering if mine is higher because of it being a Weimaraner?

I use PetPlan- I pay $48 a month- a max coverage of $15k a year. My deductible is yearly $250 and 90% coverage. Decent enough. It doesn't cover routine check-up/wellness or flea/tick/heartworm preventatives but does also cover holistic remedies as well.

I just had to have him treated for an abscess on his neck-but symptoms were hard to pinpoint at first, spent a ton of time and $. Filed the claim this last Thursday and on Monday they e-mailed me a check (should arrive today). I didn't use the app, just scanned the papers. The '1st' claim takes longer as you have to get the dogs whole history from the vet, with notes, etc....next ones shouldn't take as much paperwork.
So far I'm pleased. I don't know what I would do w/out that kind of reimbursement. With hunting/sporting dogs I think insurance is a MUST. Well, any dog you have invested in or are breeding, competing, etc.