GSP Coat Question.

FisherGuyRye

GSP Coat Question.

Post by FisherGuyRye » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am

Hi. My female GSP is now four years old. Over the past month and a half, her coat has started to become wavy. Food has not changed for over a year. Does anyone have thoughts of what it may be? She does have thicker hair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Coat Question.

Post by shags » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:26 am

As long as the dog seems OK in every other way, I would give it a month or so. This time of year some blow summer coat and new hair is coming in. Maybe that's what's going on with her.

Or, maybe she is changing to a weird coat. Can you talk to the breeder or owners of littermates? My dog is four also, and has also changed coat this summer. He used to be quite fuzzy and unkempt looking but this year it seems like a nice flat adult coat is finally coming in.

If the dog seems off in other ways as well, have your vet check her out. In horses, IDK about dogs, a longer wavy coat can indicate a pituitary problem, but it's usually accompanied by other symptoms.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

that's just the poodle coming out in her! :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 pm

I can't help, but your avatar is hilarious!! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

FisherGuyRye

Post by FisherGuyRye » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Update. I went and bought a Furminator brush and was surprised on how much shedding it picked up. Looks like she is shedding her undercoat. She looks better already! Thanks for the replies!

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:48 pm

FisherGuyRye wrote:Update. I went and bought a Furminator brush and was surprised on how much shedding it picked up. Looks like she is shedding her undercoat. She looks better already! Thanks for the replies!
Yes, the amount of hair on a Shorthair is incredible. It's very dense but, it's that density that makes them somewhat water resistant.

FWIW - my wife and I have had Shorthairs for many years and as oddly as it sounds, waviness in their coat seems to come and go. Cannot quantify this but, seems like it begins to occur once they've reached about four/five or, thereabouts. How old is your handsome dog?