withdrawal from Prednisone

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am

My 1.5 year old got bit by a baby copperhead about 45 days ago. Luckily the snake didn't get him good and he had a baseball sized swelling on his neck by his saliva gland. Long story short with prednisone and antibiotics the swelling went down in three days but the gland was still rock hard and swollen. After two weeks of mild prednisone its soft again. He's completely off the prednisone now but seems very lethargic (as lethargic as a GSP can be without great concern).

I asked the vet of it's okay to start exercising him he's again and he said it should be fine. I'm worried I'm going to over do it. Anyone have a similar situation? Trying to gauge when he will be back to himself. Doesn't help that low temps here are 75 and highs in the mid 90's.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: withdrawal from Prednisone

Post by shags » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am

Has the dog been back to vet for a recheck? If you feel like he's not acting right, might be time for a check up.

However, if it's as hot and humid there as it is here, maybe the weather is affecting the pup. We've been limiting our dogs to a short run off the quad on these nasty mornings, and they're pretty much wilted after them. On the occasional cool day we stick to the normal run.

FWIW, did you taper the dog off the pred, or quit cold turkey? It can be damaging to just stop, and our vet says to taper.
Another thing to consider, I know this from being on a course of pred myself, pred makes you feel pretty good...no aches and pains, it's great. But when you go off it, all the ouchies come back. So maybe your dog is feeling some of that soreness?

Good luck to you, I hope your dog is feeling good again really soon.

GSPONPOINT32

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Yea he was rechecked when he was getting taken off the meds. We went from 3 pills gradually down to 1/4 every other day. Longest cycle ever. It's only been two days but I'm really trying to get him back to hard workouts sooner rather than later.

And I miss when he pulls me up the hills in my morning runs. My times are really suffering...he gives me the sad look when I head out without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk