Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post Reply
BraqueFrancais115
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am

Hello everyone,

There will be at least a 3 day delay in the delivery of my pup's food and I need to address his nutrient needs during that time.
I have found a great homemade dog food recipe to go off of - the thing is, the recipe calls for the addition of dog vitamins.

I'd like to avoid having to purchase these vitamins/minerals - what options do I have in order to make his homemade food well balanced, from a vitamin/mineral standpoint? From what I've read, 1,000 mg of calcium per lb of meat balances the calcium:magnesium ratio. What else do I need to know?

Thank you in advance.

shags
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2358
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by shags » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:54 am

For three days, missing some vitamins and minerals won't hurt anything. I wouldn't bother with it.

User avatar
Dakotazeb
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 am

For just 3 days I don't think you need to go to extraordinary lengths. He could survive just fine for 3 days on most anything. Instead of trying to make a home brew why not just buy a small bag of a quality puppy chow to tide you over for 3 days?
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

BraqueFrancais115
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:For just 3 days I don't think you need to go to extraordinary lengths. He could survive just fine for 3 days on most anything. Instead of trying to make a home brew why not just buy a small bag of a quality puppy chow to tide you over for 3 days?
I just thought that making a simple 30/20 food would be easier on his digestive system than going with an entirely new food for the 3 days...

fishvik
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 929
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by fishvik » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm

BraqueFrancais115 wrote:
Dakotazeb wrote:For just 3 days I don't think you need to go to extraordinary lengths. He could survive just fine for 3 days on most anything. Instead of trying to make a home brew why not just buy a small bag of a quality puppy chow to tide you over for 3 days?
I just thought that making a simple 30/20 food would be easier on his digestive system than going with an entirely new food for the 3 days...
Unless this particular pup has had stomach problems, I'd say any good puppy food. He is probably supplementing his diet on anything around the house or yard that isn't tied down if he's a typical bird dog puppy.

User avatar
Dakotazeb
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:26 pm

BraqueFrancais115 wrote: I just thought that making a simple 30/20 food would be easier on his digestive system than going with an entirely new food for the 3 days...
Your homemade dog food is also going to be a change from what he's had. Seems the simplest route would be a trip to the store rather than messing around trying to get the right food and vitamins.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8201
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:48 pm

That puppy is darn lucky to have such a caring owner. I'd be buying a very small bag of puppy food. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User avatar
luvthemud
Rank: Champion
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: The Holyland, WI

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by luvthemud » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm

I agree with other posters that small bag of food would be the route I would go, but if memory serves me correctly, when I made my own food i think calcium was achieved through egg shells?!?!?

I used ice cube trays and made frozen treats that i would give the dog alongside his raw mix.

BraqueFrancais115
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 am

Thank you so much, everyone, for the suggestions and kind words. I ran through the motions of planning a homemade meal for my pup and actually went through with it. Having planned meals for myself in the past, this wasn't much different - vitamins/minerals aside. To address his vit/min needs, I went with a 1/4 of a calcium-free human multivitamin and added 1,000 mg of calcium per pound of meat with the use of egg shell powder, which I had on-hand. [I save egg shells and dry, then grind into a fine powder with a blender for use in the garden]

This should be "fine" for the next couple of days, until he has his regular food delivered. The problem lies in the distribution of the food he typically eats. Apparently, the food was going to be discontinued and later decided that they'll be rolling it out, again. Meanwhile, the food sits in the warehouses and local stores have zero inventory - I then had to order online (for 4x the price) and await delivery.

The main ingredients used are chicken thigh meat ($0.88/lb), whole oats (sold as horse feed at $13.00 per 50 lbs), and an assortment of veggies (broccoli, carrots) to achieve a 50/30/20% Carb/Protein/Fat ratio.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am

Where are you located? You do know most dog foods are very much alike so switching for a few days would not amount to much of a change. A dog, and for that matter a human, would not suffer any ill effects of missing anyone ingredient in their food for three days or even not being fed at all. Our bodies do not need a balanced feed at each meal as we store plenty of calories as well as other elements through out our system.

One thing I would be careful of is trying to feed whole oats as they have a large hull that is almost all fiber with the nutritious part in the center. Normally we feed rolled oats to any young animal and the whole oat is used for horses and dairy cows that need the extra fiber. If your feed shows whole oats it is ground very find and mixed in with the other ingredients.

You are doing no harm but you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist..
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BraqueFrancais115
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Where are you located? You do know most dog foods are very much alike so switching for a few days would not amount to much of a change. A dog, and for that matter a human, would not suffer any ill effects of missing anyone ingredient in their food for three days or even not being fed at all. Our bodies do not need a balanced feed at each meal as we store plenty of calories as well as other elements through out our system.

One thing I would be careful of is trying to feed whole oats as they have a large hull that is almost all fiber with the nutritious part in the center. Normally we feed rolled oats to any young animal and the whole oat is used for horses and dairy cows that need the extra fiber. If your feed shows whole oats it is ground very find and mixed in with the other ingredients.

You are doing no harm but you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist..
Thank you for the feedback.

I"m in a major city in WI.
I took the oats' protein (8%)/fat (4%)/fiber (15%) make-up into consideration when prepping his meals. Not concerned about the fiber itself as, all in all, it should be under 10% of his food and the oats were "mashed" in a blender. The oats were cooked and soaked in the chicken broth from the thighs - he ate all of it.

Cost is low - dog is well-fed and happy - therefore I'm happy.

BraqueFrancais115
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Sharon wrote:That puppy is darn lucky to have such a caring owner. I'd be buying a very small bag of puppy food. :)
Thank you, Sharon!!
=- D

Timewise65
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:30 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 pm

As you probably know puppies are very sensitive to food changes. Most breeders recommend using what they were started with for that reason. If food gives a puppy diarrhea it is VERY dangerous at this young age and if they get dehydrated, it can be fatal. I cannot imagine giving a puppy a homemade mixture, it is not about balance of protein and fats, or adding nutriments. It is about digestibility in puppies, many cannot handle any sudden change in puppy food, as it should be done slowly mixing the old with the new until the puppy is handling it well.

But if you are unable to get what the puppy was eating before....getting a good quality puppy food would be my next choice. Of course, your puppy may be able to tolerate whatever you offer....but why take the chance if you have other options....of course that's just me...

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8201
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Feeding 5.5 month old puppy

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm

BraqueFrancais115 wrote:Thank you so much, everyone, for the suggestions and kind words. I ran through the motions of planning a homemade meal for my pup and actually went through with it. Having planned meals for myself in the past, this wasn't much different - vitamins/minerals aside. To address his vit/min needs, I went with a 1/4 of a calcium-free human multivitamin and added 1,000 mg of calcium per pound of meat with the use of egg shell powder, which I had on-hand. [I save egg shells and dry, then grind into a fine powder with a blender for use in the garden]

This should be "fine" for the next couple of days, until he has his regular food delivered. The problem lies in the distribution of the food he typically eats. Apparently, the food was going to be discontinued and later decided that they'll be rolling it out, again. Meanwhile, the food sits in the warehouses and local stores have zero inventory - I then had to order online (for 4x the price) and await delivery.

The main ingredients used are chicken thigh meat ($0.88/lb), whole oats (sold as horse feed at $13.00 per 50 lbs), and an assortment of veggies (broccoli, carrots) to achieve a 50/30/20% Carb/Protein/Fat ratio.

I want to eat at your house. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

Post Reply