How much food for a pup

Nmhuntr

How much food for a pup

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:22 am

My brittany is 12 weeks old. I am feeding Victor All Life Stages to her and she is eating about 1 and 1/3 cups of food a day. She weighs about 8 pounds. The bag recommends 3/4 of a cup. I know this is just a recommendation so I wanted to ask, from your point of view, how much would you expect a pup like this to eat. I use pieces of the kinble as treats during traiming also that adds up to the total amout she eats.

Thanks for sharing your perspective

Greg

Dakotazeb

Re: How much food for a pup

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:55 am

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to your question as each dog is different. About all you can do is take the recommended amount and adjust from there for your particular dog. 1 1/3 cups sounds like plenty at 12 weeks. Just be careful that the dog doesn't get too heavy and of course the amount of ration somewhat depends on the amount of exercise the dog is getting.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 am

Dakotazeb wrote:Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to your question as each dog is different. About all you can do is take the recommended amount and adjust from there for your particular dog. 1 1/3 cups sounds like plenty at 12 weeks. Just be careful that the dog doesn't get too heavy and of course the amount of ration somewhat depends on the amount of exercise the dog is getting.
Thanks
I was thinking that I am ok but she generally is willing to eat more and that is why I was concerned. My guess is that these high energy dogs will over eat if you let them. I have her in 1/4 acre area with another dog so she gets some exercise. As soon as she completes her shots I will be taking her out where she has more room to fun and on those days she may need a little more food.

Thanks again

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am

If our breeder does not provide information on what food to use and amounts....I then use a good quality puppy food for the first year, and I follow the directions on the bag. I feed morning and evening, 1/2 of what's recommended. I watch the pups weight carefully and our vet always gives us good perspective!

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 am

Timewise65 wrote:If our breeder does not provide information on what food to use and amounts....I then use a good quality puppy food for the first year, and I follow the directions on the bag. I feed morning and evening, 1/2 of what's recommended. I watch the pups weight carefully and our vet always gives us good perspective!
Thanks
The food the breeder used is not available in my area so I switched to Victor. She goes to the vet next Monday for another shot and I will ask her opinion as well. Her weight looks fine right now but i will see once she is weighed and I get the vets opinion.