12 year old dog

Sharon
GDF Junkie

12 year old dog

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:49 pm

What is the difference between "crude protein" and " meat bi products".

My old girl will only eat wet food now.
One can is about $2.80 and another larger can is $1.80.
Both have protein to fat at about 8:6

The only difference I can see is as stated in sentence 1.

Or any other wet dog food you would recommend for a 12 year old dog?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Warrior372

Re: 12 year old dog

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm

When assessing Crude Protein content in a food the manufacturer is using the amount of nitrogen present in the food when a chemical analysis is performed to estimate the overall protein content. There is nitrogen in animal protein and non-animal protein - grains, legumes, etc., but there is also nitrogen in other non-protein ingredients as well. The term Crude Protein is also allowed to be used when referring to the use of animal carcasses and other by-products from the slaughter / butchering process.

Animal By-Products would be just that - parts left over from the slaughter / butchering process.

I feel like the term "Animal By-Products" is a much more transparent term. Although, when "Crude Protein" is used there is a chance there is actual meat in it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks very much!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Try her on softmoist i.e. Gainesburger type food, and see what she thinks.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 am

When my old ones get to the point of being picky about their meals, I feed them whatever they like and don't worry about it. The one exception was my old girl in kidney failure, and for her I tried to find foods with the lowest phosphorous content. Oddly enough, that happened to be some of the cheapest canned food available to me.

Canned sardines are scarfed up, so might be something to consider as an occasional treat or topping. Wet cat food is high protein and a spoonful as a topping keeps my oldies imterested.

There seems to be two camps comcerning protein for old dogs because of kidney issues. Some say keep protein low to ease strain on kidneys, and others say go higher because the old dogs flush protein out so fast that they need more to keep their systems going. I feed what they eat regardless.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:16 pm

I also have a 12 year old girl. She has been our very best field dog and when she is gone I will really miss her. My experience with older dogs like this, is give them whatever they will eat. Many times when a dog won't eat kibble type food, even with water mixed in, it is due to their teeth, of course other possible causes are possible. They need something soft!

You probably know that when an older dog is approaching end of life frequently they stop eating, then will not take water....so for me, give 'em what they like for as long as they will enjoy it, unless of course, it gives them diarrhea, which is dangerous for older dogs too!

Good luck....