Where do you place your dogs bowl

Nmhuntr

Where do you place your dogs bowl

Post by Nmhuntr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Ok here we go with another stupid question. As I have shared with my coworkers my adventure with my new Brittany pup another question has come up. One of my coworkers said I should feed her out of a raised bowl and not off the floor. Something about deepchested dogs etc etc. To be honest it sounds like horse dung to me but I am not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer so what breed dog do you have and. how do you feed your dog?

Thanks a lot
Last edited by Nmhuntr on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Where do you place your dogs bowl

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Bowls on the floor. Never seemed to inhibit eating in any way. Jack Russell fed in one room and the door shut until the setter is finished eating in the other room , otherwise big fights. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 am

Sharon wrote:Bowls on the floor. Never seemed to inhibit eating in any way. Jack Russell fed in one room and the door shut until the setter is finished eating in the other room , otherwise big fights. :roll:
Yorkshire Terrier locked in another room until the setter is finished eating. Otherwise, yorkie runs the setter off his bowl and continues his quest to look like a giant bloated tick!

As for OP's query, maybe try both ways and see if the pup appears to be more comfortable with one or the other.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 am

We have 3 field bred, Golden Retrievers. We feed them all in our laundry room, with water and food bowls on the floor. I agree with your assumption that anything else is crazy!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 am

on the floor.
Keep your bulbs out of your Knife drawer and vice versa........Cj

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 am

cjhills wrote:on the floor.
Keep your bulbs out of your Knife drawer and vice versa........Cj

Thanks

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:25 pm

There is probably a grain of truth in your co workers comments..
But like everything in life ,it has to be taken in context?
A Giraffe would have some difficulty eating from the ground , if it was hungry enough and the food was on the floor I'm sure it would figure out how to splay it's legs and get that long neck that just so happens is connected to the mouth that will feed it.
If this was done on a daily basis over a period of time with a young Giraffe,I'm sure some structure of how the animal feeds will have an effect ,but I doubt it will ever evolve from being a Giraffe.
That Grain of truth is most likely one of them urban myths .
As an aside ..but to answer the post heading . 'Where do you place your dog Bowl' ? ..
Right under the dogs chin. It works every time and it eats everything in the bowl.
Some scatter the food on the kennel floor ,but that may be too advanced and another subject for those that haven't got the bowl situation figured out yet .

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Nmhuntr wrote:Ok here we go with another stupid question. As I have shared with my coworkers my adventure with my new Brittany pup another question has come up. One of my coworkers said I should feed her out of a raised bowl and not off the floor. Something about deepchested dogs etc etc.
The thinking behind that is the hypothesis that it reduces the chance of gastric torsion (bloat), to which deep-chested breeds are theoretically more prone. An old idea. There are a lot of ways of reducing chances of bloat, but feeding a Brittany "high" (as it was known) isn't one of them.

I have two German Wirehaired Pointers and their bowls --twice a day--are on the floor.