Heartworm Medicine

PoorMansWrangler

Heartworm Medicine

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hey guys,
I have a 5 month old GSP pup, and I am wanting to start him on some heartworm vaccinations. Do you guys have any reccomendations, or what type do you typically use? He is about 45 pounds now (Probably a little more).
Thanks!

Chaingang

Re: Heartworm Medicine

Post by Chaingang » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Heartworm prevention is usually in the form of a monthly chewable tablet not vaccination. Heartguard Plus is one brand that comes to mind.

If you have multiple dogs many on here will give Ivermectin 1% which is the same main ingredient as Heartguard but is a liquid form that is sold for use on swine, but can be used in dogs with the RECOMMENDED dosage. A bottle of Ivermec (brand) usually costs about $40 and will last several dogs a long time, in fact it will probably go past it's expiration date before you use it all.

Still others will use Ivermectin paste 1.87% which is intended for horses but can be carefully dosed for dogs and still cheaper yet. With one dog I would probably just opt for the Heartguard Plus but that's just me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm

I use Heartguard starting in May until the mosquitoes are gone.... about Nov.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Hartguar ... e&ie=UTF-8

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:06 am

Ok, thank you. Would there be any benefit to starting the Heartguard now, even though we have no mosquitoes? It’s about 5 degrees out right now, and it probably won’t warm up until late March/April for mosquitoes

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 am

The safest thing now would be to talk with your vet. We usually start are spring or summer born pups at 10 weeks. Your vet will want to do a blood test to make sure he does not have heart worms. That can be a issue...............Cj

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 am

Most vets will require that your dog be on heart worm medication year round or they will require a heart worm test before giving you more of the med. In the northern US I see no reason to be giving the medication during the late fall and winter months when there are no mosquitoes.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

cjhills wrote:The safest thing now would be to talk with your vet. We usually start are spring or summer born pups at 10 weeks. Your vet will want to do a blood test to make sure he does not have heart worms. That can be a issue...............Cj

Exactly.

original poster ( OP): if a dog already has heartworm , the meds can kill it as it kills the worms too fast in the heart causing heart failure. See your vet for a blood test as said. No need for the meds if there are no mosquitoesnor if the dog doesn't already have heartworms. Living in a warm all year State , requires heartworm meds all year; fortunately I can save $$$$ as I live in Canada. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 pm

PMW -

Most folks use an Ivermectin based heartworm preventative. It has been used for years and is available as a monthly oral dose.

There is another compound called Milbemycin oxime, which is also used. A trade name is Sentinel. Milbemycin, in addition to being a heartworm preventative, will kill both hook and whip worms, both of which can be a real PIA to get rid of.

Sentinel Spectrum tablets also contains a flea preventative and a tapeworm killer(praziquantel).

I personally use Ivermectin, but my son uses Sentinel monthly and his dogs are fine.

Sentinel is pricier than Ivermectin based products but it does have a much wider spectrum of activity. For one dog, it might be the way to go.

RayG

Fozzie's Mom

Post by Fozzie's Mom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 am

PoorMansWrangler wrote:Ok, thank you. Would there be any benefit to starting the Heartguard now, even though we have no mosquitoes? It’s about 5 degrees out right now, and it probably won’t warm up until late March/April for mosquitoes
HI there! Vet tech in PA, here. Sadly, yes, it's darn cold out, but around our parts, it won't stay cold enough long enough to keep the bugs at complete bay all winter long. We used to recommend stopping heartworm and flea/tick control over the winter, but that's just not the case any longer. The winters aren't enough, and the darn bugs are getting stronger and wiley-er.

Heartgard Plus is a great product and has a HUGE advantage over plain old Ivermectin. Ivermectin just gets the heartworms, essentially. Heartgard Plus also contains pyrantel, which will cover some of the common intestinal parasites, as well, including rounds and hooks.

The other, probably BEST option is Interceptor Plus. It is also guaranteed to take care of intestinal parasites, and covers a wider range to include whipworms. It states it covers tapes as well, but it doesn't get the most-seen version of tapeworm.

Heartworm infection is transmitted by ONE mosquito bite, and the "preventative pills" are actually more like the morning after pill. Mosquito bites in November, you dose in December to kill off the baby heartworms in the system. I don't know about you. . .but we definitely had some warm days here in December, so your pet is at risk.

I'm curious as to why your vet didn't have you start preventative before now?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:34 am

Our vets have never suggested year round treatment though I use to using Ivermectin. In the pass few years I just quit in winter but I never had the dogs checked before starting up again since the Ivomec just kills the microfilaria and doesn't kill the adults which shouldn't be a problem if you have been treating properly.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Up North

Post by Up North » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:46 am

I use Ivermectin, and do it year round to keep other parasites in check. Here is a useful link.

http://www.thedogplace.org/parasites/do ... ing-09.asp

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 pm

One other thing if you have a round worm issue you need to treat with Pyrantel three times one week apart or the worms reproduce and you need to treat puppies three times at about 5 6 and 7 weeks because they almost always get round worms from their mother even though she never would have a positive fecal check..........Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Fozzie's Mom wrote:
PoorMansWrangler wrote:Ok, thank you. Would there be any benefit to starting the Heartguard now, even though we have no mosquitoes? It’s about 5 degrees out right now, and it probably won’t warm up until late March/April for mosquitoes
HI there! Vet tech in PA, here. Sadly, yes, it's darn cold out, but around our parts, it won't stay cold enough long enough to keep the bugs at complete bay all winter long. We used to recommend stopping heartworm and flea/tick control over the winter, but that's just not the case any longer. The winters aren't enough, and the darn bugs are getting stronger and wiley-er.

Heartgard Plus is a great product and has a HUGE advantage over plain old Ivermectin. Ivermectin just gets the heartworms, essentially. Heartgard Plus also contains pyrantel, which will cover some of the common intestinal parasites, as well, including rounds and hooks.

The other, probably BEST option is Interceptor Plus. It is also guaranteed to take care of intestinal parasites, and covers a wider range to include whipworms. It states it covers tapes as well, but it doesn't get the most-seen version of tapeworm.

Heartworm infection is transmitted by ONE mosquito bite, and the "preventative pills" are actually more like the morning after pill. Mosquito bites in November, you dose in December to kill off the baby heartworms in the system. I don't know about you. . .but we definitely had some warm days here in December, so your pet is at risk.

I'm curious as to why your vet didn't have you start preventative before now?

As a vet tech you sure know more than I do,( nice to have you here), but here in Canada ( except BC)the vet makes the decision for meds depending on the winter. Last winter was an all year meds year; this winter no meds needed( coldest winter in a very long time).Now in Florida ..... Really depends on the winters where you live I think.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 am

From OP It seems like this pup has had little or no vet work. He should have also had is Rabies Shots by now if he hasn't..................................... Cj

Fozzie's Mom

Post by Fozzie's Mom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 am

Sharon wrote:

As a vet tech you sure know more than I do,( nice to have you here), but here in Canada ( except BC)the vet makes the decision for meds depending on the winter. Last winter was an all year meds year; this winter no meds needed( coldest winter in a very long time).Now in Florida ..... Really depends on the winters where you live I think.
Truth! We here in Ohio and PA usually don't get enough winter, and Ohio seems to have an epidemic of HW positive dogs. I don't understand it. . . . . .$2-3,000 to treat, only $12/month to prevent. . . . . . . . I say "usually" since we seem to have developed a perma-frost here over the past few weeks. It's currently 6 with a windchill of 20 below!! Eeek!

You guys up there in the arctic tundra are a whole 'nother beast! lol Brrrrr!!!

Winter meds are definitely a regional recommendation based on what the vets are seeing between weather and distribution, for sure!

DennisCanfield

Post by DennisCanfield » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 am

PoorMansWrangler wrote:I have a 5 month old GSP pup, and I am wanting to start him on some heartworm vaccinations. Do you guys have any recommendations, or what type do you typically use? He is about 45 pounds now (Probably a little more).
At this time, there isn't a commercially available vaccine for the prevention of heartworm disease in dogs or cats. Scientists are looking at this possibility. At this moment, heartworm disease can only be prevented through the regular and appropriate use of preventive medications, which are prescribed by your veterinarian. These medications are available as a once-a-month chewable, a once-a-month topical, and a twice-a-year injection. You should determine the best option for your pet by talking with your veterinarian.

Source: heartwormsociety.org

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:58 am

i would have the heart worm test done first, just to be safe i use the iv. paste from tracter supply