5 Month WPG Drinking Water

SaskStallion

5 Month WPG Drinking Water

Post by SaskStallion » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a 5 month old WPG, and I want to get everyone's opinion on what his normal water intake should be. We are feeding him one cup of large breed puppy food, three times per day. He gets his water bowl filled up (approx. 2 cup) with every feeding. My question is, how much water is normal for him to drink? If we fill his water bowl, he drinks the entire thing after he's done eating the food. If we fill it after he finishes drinking the first bowl, he just keeps drinking until that bowl is gone as well...
After drinking this much water, he clearly needs to pee A LOT, and sometimes will not make it outside before having a small accident in the house.
I just want to be sure we're giving him what he needs, while helping him complete the whole house training thing, and also not allowing him to over-hydrate.
Any thoughts are more than welcome!
Last edited by SaskStallion on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: 5 Month WPG Drinking Water

Post by shags » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

So he only gets water after a meal?

Try free choice water, and add some warm water to his kibble.

He might consume the same volumes over the course of the day, then the output would also be more more frequent but less of a flood.

When my young dog was a pup, he drank a lot of water too. We had our vet check him to rule out anything weird like diabetes or kidney problems. Eventually, the consumption leveled off.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm

average water requirements would be 1 oz per pound of body weight per day. If hes drinking more more than 120% of that in a days time, consistently (assuming hes not exercising a lot or its hot), I would get him checked out. that being said, sometimes puppies just like to drink water...

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 am

My first thought is 2 cups really isn't that much water. But, for peace of mind I would talk to your vet!

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 am

I suggest when feeding kibble to flood the kibble with water.

Always have lots of water. I like to use 5 gal. buckets. Two cups? I don't think so.

I have a female GSP that likes to stand with her two front legs in a 5 gal bucket when her is hot. She also likes to drink with her eyes below water line and some times blows bubbles.

If anyone figures out how to stop my dogs from drinking out of the toilet let me know. Yes they can lift the lid.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 am

reba wrote:If anyone figures out how to stop my dogs from drinking out of the toilet let me know. Yes they can lift the lid.
"No!" followed by Mousetraps. Small ones. For pups, cover traps with newspapers so they don't get snapped. Also useful for counter tops. Continue use for a while. Expect to get snapped every once in a while yourself.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:15 pm

reba wrote:I suggest when feeding kibble to flood the kibble with water.

Always have lots of water. I like to use 5 gal. buckets. Two cups? I don't think so.

I have a female GSP that likes to stand with her two front legs in a 5 gal bucket when her is hot. She also likes to drink with her eyes below water line and some times blows bubbles.

If anyone figures out how to stop my dogs from drinking out of the toilet let me know. Yes they can lift the lid.
As I do. I always flood the kibble with water. Mine will drink out of the toilet - fresh , cold water ???
I don't really care as they drink worse in the fields and woods. I wish they wouldn't slobber so much on the floor though. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett