Tick preventative

TurkeyDog

Tick preventative

Post by TurkeyDog » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I have two dogs. One is a lab mix, the other is an 11 week Boykin pup. They both went to the vet today and my lab mix tested positive for Lyme disease. We got the doxycycline for him. They are both on nexguard and the lab wore an over the counter tick collar. I checked him as thoroughly as possible, but ticks are a bad problem in my area. So much so that we find the. I treated my yard last spring but nothing i did controlled the tick problem. One dog is bad enough, but i dont want my puppy getting infected. Does anyone have any preventive ideas they've found successful? Someone mentioned guinea fowl, but I'm not sure. I put cedar saw dust out, I medicate my dogs for it, check them, and this still happened. Any suggestions?

Meller

Re: Tick preventative

Post by Meller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

I used the Sorrento flea and tick collar, and never seen a tick bitt in on either of my dogs, lasts 8 months; that is the way I will go this year!

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 am

Many dogs test positive for Lyme but that doesn't mean they have an infection. Look for clinical signs of Lyme. It is not common practice to treats dogs that test positive for Lyme unless they have symptoms. Your dog will test positive for years to come.

A tiny percentage of dogs that are exposed to the bacteria actually get it.

TurkeyDog

Post by TurkeyDog » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 pm

MonsterDad, yeah he's got clinical signs. He's been unable to stand up for two days, and his back legs are swollen at the joints. We brought it up at the vet and they ran the blood test. I can't do anything for him if he than give him the doxycycline and hope it doesn't shut his kidneys down. I'm fairly concerned about my new puppy though. As I said, the ticks are terrible where I live in Wisconsin. Hopefully the nexguard and a collar will help him avoid my other dogs condition. Just wondering if anyone has any yard treatment ideas.