Purina Bright Mind

Grange

Purina Bright Mind

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 am

I've got a 13+ year old lab that is most likely losing her mind to dementia. She's got several of the common symptoms such as standing in a corner, not being able to figure her way out of a room, will sometimes just wander out of the yard (she never left the yard before), and sometimes defecates in the house especially at night. She's got other signs of an old dog such as loss of muscle tone, deaf, and several lypomas, but still loves to play with my setter and will even play with my new brittany puppy, loves to fetch, and gets amped up when she sees her ecollar or orange hat, but I know the end is coming.

I recently purchased Purina Bright Mind and am wondering what folks experience is with this food? I did a search and only found a couple comments, but they seemed to be positive. I don't know if it will help, but I've got to try.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Purina Bright Mind

Post by shags » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:28 pm

I had good results from Bright Mind. I started using it shortly after it was introduced.

My old male setter (11yrs) was more withdrawn and quiet and just not interested in much. Health-wise he checked out fine. I switched him to Bright Mind and within a couple of weeks saw a difference in his attitude. He perked up considerably and acted like he was 6 years old again. Really, I didn't know how much he had fallen away until he came back.

I mentioned the diffence to my vet. In turn, he mentioned using Bright Mind to a couple of clients who had dogs with some dementia symptoms. Vet told me that one client reported back good results. I don't know about the other.

I noticed in one of my vet's professional periodicals that Purina has a special rx diet for neurological support in addition to the kidney etc diets. Well, comparing that to Bright Mind they are pretty much identical - the only difference I saw was in an omega 3 ( or was it 6? Sorry, no remember). That right there tells me that the medium chain fatty acids in Bright Mind have some effect on brain function.

There is a drug for canine dementia. Anipryl. Maybe ask your vet about it too.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 pm

"bleep", I might try some of that myself. Wait a minute -- what's it called again?

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 am

Another vote for this stuff. Used it on my Older Weimaraner and it made him more alert. Same with ny 12 year old American Brittany. She is getting a little lost lately but the food seems to be making a difference. Only downside is that some of the ingredients are not the best, being corn based. But it does seem to have positive effect.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 am

Robbw wrote:Another vote for this stuff. Used it on my Older Weimaraner and it made him more alert. Same with ny 12 year old American Brittany. She is getting a little lost lately but the food seems to be making a difference. Only downside is that some of the ingredients are not the best, being corn based. But it does seem to have positive effect.
Can you tell us why something that gives great results is not the best since it has corn in it? Kind of sounds to me that something that gives the best results is the best.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Robbw wrote:Another vote for this stuff. Used it on my Older Weimaraner and it made him more alert. Same with ny 12 year old American Brittany. She is getting a little lost lately but the food seems to be making a difference. Only downside is that some of the ingredients are not the best, being corn based. But it does seem to have positive effect.
Can you tell us why something that gives great results is not the best since it has corn in it? Kind of sounds to me that something that gives the best results is the best.
Dog food threads are my favorites!!!

mask

Post by mask » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 am

What is in this food that helps?

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
I say it for two reasons. First, I researched the food on Dogfoodadvisor.com. They did an analysis of the food and said that "Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind looks like a below-average dry product.... with Above-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food. They also said, "The fourth ingredient is corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. And aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog. For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food." I also have a local holistic pet store owner who promotes grain free and says corn ingredients cause allergies and gastrointestinal problems in dogs. there is also this article on the subject. https://dogfood.guide/corn/

As for why it works? Who knows. Here is an article about it. http://truthaboutpetfood.com/purina-bri ... ger-lives/ .

So to answer ezzy333, the corn in Bright Mind has nothing to do with the neurological benefits that seem to come from the food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Robbw wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I say it for two reasons. First, I researched the food on Dogfoodadvisor.com. They did an analysis of the food and said that "Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind looks like a below-average dry product.... with Above-average protein. Above-average fat. And below-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food. They also said, "The fourth ingredient is corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. And aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog. For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food." I also have a local holistic pet store owner who promotes grain free and says corn ingredients cause allergies and gastrointestinal problems in dogs. there is also this article on the subject. https://dogfood.guide/corn/

As for why it works? Who knows. Here is an article about it. http://truthaboutpetfood.com/purina-bri ... ger-lives/ .

So to answer ezzy333, the corn in Bright Mind has nothing to do with the neurological benefits that seem to come from the food.
Robbw, You posted exactly what I was afraid you might. First thing id Dogfood Advisor has absolutely no credentials in the area of dog nutrition. As you noted he did nothing but compared what the bad says compared to what other bags have listed, and never a word about the nutritional value of any ingredient that is listed. The author of that site is a dentist and has nothing to do in the area of handling or educational values being discussed. " Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. And aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog. For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food." Do you think that price or controversy is a good way to judge an ingredient's value nutritionally? I can tell you it isn't. Corn is one of the cheaper sources of nutrition that speaks of the availability and nothing about nutritional value. For a wonderful carb source, it also supplies more fat and protein than most grains. Plus it is a natural food that most canines have eaten for years and done well on. As far as allergies, dogs are seldom allergic to any food but when they are 90% of the time it is triggered by a protein source such as meat, and has absolutely nothing to due with a bland carb source. I am not going to take the time to look up the source of this info but it is available if you are interested. I am not taking a position about this particular product as I have not looked up any of the test and have had 0 experience with it. But I do know of the stuff I wrote about from the educational, work related , and personal experience line of thinking so do what you want and if there is anything I can help clear up just ask. I am sure I am no smarter but have had the good fortune to have spent a long life time working in practically every capacity of manufacturing and feeding these products and I like to help anyone that is wanting to learn.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Ezzy,

Didn't know you were smarter than me, my vet, the holistic dog lady, dog food advisor, the sources I've read on the internet etc. I of course have no time to fact check what you say nor debate a topic that is clearly in hot debate in the world of dog nutrition. I also don't see you listed in snopes so I can't even cheat that way. But since you don't cite any source except your own self professed expertise, I feel like I have a leg up. It's just really great to have someone of your intelligence and experience on this board.

Back to the topic at hand, Bright Mind seems to have a positive effect on the cognitive function of my 12 year old American Brittany.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

mask wrote:What is in this food that helps?
Combination of several medium chain fatty acids.

cajunl

Post by cajunl » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 pm

I fed it to my 2 10 year old retired hunting dogs and my wives 15 year old mini Schnauzer for 30+ days. One of the 10 year old dog started to have relapse of allergy symptoms.Switched to different and went away. Other 2 had no other problems. Yes it is mostly corn and wheat filler based.

I saw very little difference... if any as far as pick up in energy or any other effects. Like above link was posted MCT oil was the bases of the study of dogs for brain function. I already substitute MCT oil and fish oil in there diet (i do in my own diet also). So may be why I didnt see any difference.

I fell hook line and Sinker for the advertising...:-)! BTW I feed 4 hunting dogs Purina Pro plan sport and love it. I dont hunt bird dogs but hunt these dogs 150+ days a year, and year round. I was hoping to feed only Purina but didnt work out!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 am

Sometime's these food thread's make me sick. Lot of people claiming either feed this $50 for 30# sack of feed your not feeding your dog right. And all the people that feed some high priced feed jump on the same wagon and tell us how bad corn is for your dog. Lot of dog food engineer's that never went to school for it. How many year's has Purina been making and selling Dow Chow? I'm 72 and can't remember there never being a Dog Chow. It has served million's of dog's well. But with the introduction of premium feeds at really high cost, lot of people that don't use it call it junk! I'm wondering how many people have actually tried the stuff of any of the other grocery store feed's. Shoot there was a time when Purina High Pro was the best thing going. Don't know when it came in either but back in the 1970's I was feeding it and it's been doing well ever since.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 am

I have a big going brittany that I'm having trouble gettin "over the hill broke". Do you think the Holistic dog lady could help me out?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:36 am

Robbw wrote:Ezzy,

Didn't know you were smarter than me, my vet, the holistic dog lady, dog food advisor, the sources I've read on the internet etc. I of course have no time to fact check what you say nor debate a topic that is clearly in hot debate in the world of dog nutrition. I also don't see you listed in snopes so I can't even cheat that way. But since you don't cite any source except your own self professed expertise, I feel like I have a leg up. It's just really great to have someone of your intelligence and experience on this board.

Back to the topic at hand, Bright Mind seems to have a positive effect on the cognitive function of my 12 year old American Brittany.
You know I had no idea I was smarter than all of those individuals either but I really feel good now as it will look really good on my resume'. I don't think there is a hot debate over grain in dog food but rather just a marketing tool o a couple of companies and some people jumped on board with it because they didn't want to research either. Of course it will gradually die down as it seems to be already and now we can jump on the GMO thing and the Gluten free thing even though we have all been using those products years before someone told us it was bad. In a saturated market where small companies can not compete on price they need to carve out a niche for their product and that responsibility falls on the marketing division for their continued existence. Presently their job is a little easier as we have a society today that thinks they know more than the people who have developed the feeds that have worked for years. It is hard for many of us to accept much of it as we grew up back in a day where results were judged more on performance of the animal than the feelings of the owners. Dog food was not created to make the owner feel good but was found to be a terrific labor saver and produced products we could not duplicate or improve on at home. Consequently, we have seen not only improved performances but it has allowed many of us to continue to enjoy our hobbies on a larger scale and provide affordable costs that provide the nutrition that we have been introduced to for the betterment of our dogs.

mask

Post by mask » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Shags, thank you for the reply. Pedro, be careful holistic folks might be able to put a hex on you. lol :D

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Pedro wrote:I have a big going brittany that I'm having trouble gettin "over the hill broke". Do you think the Holistic dog lady could help me out?
Hey, if you also trained in obedience, you'd get to listen to lectures (online, not in person) from all the "force-free" people who have never put a title on a dog.

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:18 am

Let's put this food debate into context.

Some people believe that the grain free, corn free, gluten free food crazes are simply marketing hype, not supported by any medical evidence. I'm sure that is not 100% correct although I'd be stupid (stupider) to believe there is no marketing involved. But the same "marketing" done by these smaller manufactures can be done on a much greater scale by Purina because it is a giant in the industry. So who is right and what is just "fake news".

It's the same thing with food for humans. Eggs are bad, then good, then bad... Butter is bad but margarine is good, then margarine is bad.... Everyone has to eat gluten free .... GMO vs non-GMO. Organic vs. not.

We pet owners do our research as best we can and make the best choices we can based on the information we have an can proceed with. Some of the folks here who have been around the dog food industry say that this new fangled stuff is just marketing bunk. But times have change...from the prevailing thinking of how to correct a dog to the food. Do what you want and what you think is right. I know I will.

As for Cajunl's point, I have considered doing exactly what did, simply using the supplements and dumping the bright mind since I have two other dogs and they eat an all live stages food. It would be easier to just have one food for me. But there are ingredients in Bright Mind that do appear to be effective, in my dog that passed last Fall (degenerative spinal disorder) and in my 12 year old American Britt.

For Pedro, no idea. I went to her because my French Britt (a re-homed dog that came back to the breeder) I was looking for something to calm her anxiety, in addition to the exercise and obedience/steadiness training she is getting. I had heard about CDB oil so I'm giving it a try. But some of those holistic people might put a hex on you too...you never know.