Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

Puppy food help...

Puppy food help...

Postby Mike da Carpenter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Hello all, our GSP turns 4 months old tomorrow, and it’s time to buy another bag of food. Currently, I’m feeding him Purina Pro Plan focus with the Golden retriever puppy on the front, and I’m considering switching to the Purina Pro Plan focus with the GSP puppy on on the front. The only difference I see is that there is Glucosamine in the GSP formula. Is there really any difference besides that in the two types? If he is doing fine on the one he is on, is it worth switching just to get the Glucosamine? Heck, I don’t even know what Glucosamine is.

Also was considering whether or not to switch over to performance All ages food just for the size of the food. Currently, he eats a cup of food as fast as it takes me to get a coffee cup out and filled up. My thoughts are that the larger pieces in “all stages” might slow him down a bit.

What are your thoughts?
Mike da Carpenter

Re: Puppy food help...

Postby deseeker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm going to stay away from the food part of it and make a suggestion on the fast eating---they make bowls with big knobs in them that they can't get big mouthfuls at a time(they have to eat around the knobs. What I do if I want to slow the dog down eating is use a big pizza pan or a large cookie sheet and spread the food in a thin layer all over the surface. Unless they are like a vacuum cleaner with suction :lol:, it will slow them down eating a liitle bit because they can't get large mouthfuls at a time.
Good luck in the food fight that will probably start on whose food is best :lol:
I just feed my dogs food they like, that keeps them in good shape, with a good coat, min. poop, & that is reasonably priced. Just because it is the highest priced food doesn't mean it's the best food for your dog. JMO
:roll:
deseeker

Postby Mike da Carpenter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:23 pm

To slow him down, we tried putting river rocks in the food bowl, and that lasted a little over a week till he learned to pick them up and set them outside the bowl, then turn into a vacuum again. I’ll probably stick with PPP puppy, but switch over to the one with the GSP on the front, and with hope, his voracious eating habits will subside with time.

Simply amazed how smart the GSP breed is. Wondering why I never had one before, but sure am glad I have one now.
Mike da Carpenter

Puppy food help...

Postby KahlessDg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Mike da Carpenter wrote:Hello all, our GSP turns 4 months old tomorrow, and it’s time to buy another bag of food. Currently, I’m feeding him Purina Pro Plan focus with the Golden retriever puppy on the front, and I’m considering switching to the Purina Pro Plan focus with the GSP puppy on on the front. The only difference I see is that there is Glucosamine in the GSP formula. Is there really any difference besides that in the two types? If he is doing fine on the one he is on, is it worth switching just to get the Glucosamine? Heck, I don’t even know what Glucosamine is.

Also was considering whether or not to switch over to performance All ages food just for the size of the food. Currently, he eats a cup of food as fast as it takes me to get a coffee cup out and filled up. My thoughts are that the larger pieces in “all stages” might slow him down a bit.

What are your thoughts?
Glucosamine is a supplement that basically protects and lubricates you dogs (and your) joints. I've been giving my 14 month old GSP a glucosamine supplement ever since he was about 6 months old. You mostly hear about giving it as an arthritis supplement, but since my pup is so active when training, and will be an endurance running buddy too, I thought I'd be proactive. Sorry I can't comment on the dog food, I feed a raw diet so don't know much about kibble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
KahlessDg

Postby Dakotazeb » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Take a look at some of these bowls on Chewy.com. They should solve your fast eating problem.

https://www.chewy.com/s?rh=c%3A288%2Cc% ... rge+Breeds
Dakotazeb

Postby Steve007 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Take a look at some of these bowls on Chewy.com. They should solve your fast eating problem.

https://www.chewy.com/s?rh=c%3A288%2Cc% ... rge+Breeds

I'll be darned. I didn't know that bowls like this existed. Good idea. The reason for them is that many people believe that food gulping increases the possibility of gastric torsion. Hard to say for sure, but a bowl like this does make sense where indicated.
Steve007

Postby steingre » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Just a recommendation...from experience with my GSPs- spend a little more for a stainless steel bowl...or you'll end up with a chewed up plastic mess....and then buy a steel one anyway!!
steingre

Return to Health and Nutrition