GSP Ear Edge Irritation

JJRgsp

GSP Ear Edge Irritation

Post by JJRgsp » Sun May 27, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi all, new member to the forum here. Have consulted threads here many times, so thanks for all the thoughtful discussion.

We have an almost 5-yr old GSP female. For as long as I can remember, she's had dry/scaling skin at the end of her ears. In the winter it can get particularly raw. She has (also for as long as I can remember) been a serial head shaker whenever she rises. I had thoughtt it might just be the breed, but I've also thought on and off that it has something to do with her ears.

She's never been particularly bothered by her ears. We've tried to be diligent about putting things like emu oil on the ends of her ears to moisurize, soothe, and encourage circulation, but this issue has never really gone away. I asked our vet recently and he offered only the possibility of hyperthyroidism and the possibility of a blood test.

Anyone else have this experience? I certainly don't want it ignore something serious. She's gone skiing with is in some pretty cold temps so I've also considered some early age frostbite that's left her with lasting damage.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

reba

Re: GSP Ear Edge Irritation

Post by reba » Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 pm

I would use Musher's Secret daily.

Pretty amazing stuff, more uses than just dog feet.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm

I think your dog has "ear fisures" Every time he shakes his head it irritates the edge of the ear. The more it shakes the worst it gets. Take him to the vet for a conformation of this. The vet can give you a solution that will help. Had a friend back in the day that cauterized the edges with a hot nail, it worked! Not for me tho.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm

I have hyperthyroidism and itchy ear edges. I just use ear lotion you buy for "swimmers ears" . It solves the problem.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett