Recurring Anal Gland Issues

Taylor_B

Recurring Anal Gland Issues

Post by Taylor_B » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 am

Hi Folks -
Figured I'd put this out there to see if anyone had insight on this particularly smelly issue.
Our one dog has had some recurring anal gland issues: We'll have them expressed, and then within a month or two, she's back to licking her bum and stinking all the time.
Her poop is solid, but it's not super firm. I've been doing some reading that diet changes can help with this: Adding probiotics; adding fiber (pumpkin); changing her kibble.
That said, with all of the suggestions out there, I wanted to see if this forum had anything - quite a few of you folks have been very helpful in the past.
Our vet said we can bring her in to have them expressed, it's $40 bucks every time we do that (i don't trust myself to express them on my own - she's 80lbs, and gets pretty pissed off about it, so I don't want to hurt her while trying to do it myself), and I'd like to try and fix the problem of why they're becoming impacted in the first place (I want to prevent the issue vs. just treat it every time it happens). He also brought up a surgical procedure last time to flush them out, but doing some reading on that implied that she'd be put under general anesthesia, and in the worst case scenario, the surgery could injure the muscles around her rectum (...i know that's not likely, but I don't love the idea of putting her under, and not sure I want to risk incontinence over anal glands).

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
As always, thanks ahead of time.
-Brooke

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Recurring Anal Gland Issues

Post by shags » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:26 am

I think variances in anal glands is pretty much an individual thing, not a whole lot you can do to change it.

It's quick and easy to express anal glands externally, rather than using the internal technique. Depending whether the contents are liquid or pasty, you might be able to minimize vet visits by DIY.

My terrier requires help often, her glands fill fast. She has liquid stuff and has never had to have the vet express her. She's around 10-11 years old. I had a setter that was pasty, and sometimes I asked the vet to check and express internally. Otherwise I did externals, and the dog seemed to be comfortable between vet visits.

I prefer to take care of it at dogs' bath time, easy to wash away any stink. Otherwise, latex gloves, paper towel, and a scented wipe are my friends.

You can ask your vet to show you how, but basically you grasp the dog's tail in one had, holding it up. With the other hand, squeeze just below the anus, up and inwardly. If the glands are full, you can feel the bulge. Go slowly but firmly. Be careful, glands full of liquid can really squirt. Pasty ones can smear.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 pm

Good info by shags. You are correct that surgery can lead to incontinence. Some years ago, the numbers on actual removal was 50% with this side effect.

Follow shag's advice, and that may even permanently correct your problem after a while. You'll also find a grooming table is a good investment if she's troublesome, though do a little grooming only for a few days to get her used to being there. Everything is difficult and confusing before it becomes easy and clear.

Diet changes of you've outlined can't hurt. I'd sure use some oral chlorophyll to reduce smell, though that will NOT cure your problem or her licking.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 pm

The only thing that I have seen work on some is make sure they at having a firm bowel movement.\\

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:57 am

Hi All
Thanks for the insight.
We will try to regularly express them on a bi-weekly basis if we notice licking her backside more often.
I purchased a powder that we'll add to her food once a day to try and firm up her poops a little bit, so we'll see if that works.
Thanks again!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm

I empty both my dogs' glands weekly when they are on the outside table getting hosed down after a run. They don't like it , but.............My husband thinks it's disgusting and won't look. :)

LOL ( I didn't swear so I don't know why that block element is there.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:19 am

I have had very little success with diet changes, fiber supplements, "no scoot" treats, etc. My opinion is they dont help, but it sure doesnt hurt to try. I have removed anal glands on 15-20 dogs over the years, and have only had 1 show any fecal incontinence issues. we were able to treat that dog, and the dog became continent again after a time. My partner also recently did a formalin ablation on a large dog that had chronic anal gland issues for years, and it was a complete success; havent seen the dog for anal gland expression since, ad that was at least 6 months ago. I realize you are hesitant to sedate the dog, but I think you may have to if you are looking for a permanent solution. If you can express them on your own from the outside then more power to you... but i see a lot of dogs with full anal glands that "just had them expressed at the groomers", according to the owner. Good luck!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:21 pm

This seems like very informed and up-to-date information (unlike, perhaps, my own) which I hope never to need. The OP, however, may wish to review it if the problem is not corrected.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Thanks again all.
We've tried a "Glandex" supplement in her food and her bum licking has greatly decreased.
It's not a permanent solution, but it's working for now. That said, if she continues to have issue going forward, a further consult with the vet may be in our future!

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:18 am

Good to hear things are getting better. Long term, a change in diet is probably best for your dog. High fiber vegetables like pumpkin only make poop fluffier, not firmer. Digestible raw meat and bone produce the firm, compact, turds that allow the glands express naturally.