Kidney Failure

Montana

Kidney Failure

Post by Montana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 pm

I have a young dog (just turned two years old) that is experiencing Kidney failure. She was losing weight and I couldn't figure out why so I had my vet examine her and he did a workup on her (blood, urine, and stools). Blood tests came back that her kidneys are not functioning properly. Other than the weight loss, she seems good...tons of energy, etc., but from what I understand it's a matter of time before she starts experiencing more problems. I asked what he thinks might have caused the kidneys to not function properly and he said it could be several things.... Any toxin could have caused it (anti-freeze, some plants, etc.). I've always been very careful with antifreeze as I know it can be lethal. Thinking back, I can't recall the last time I even used some so I doubt if it was that. In reading up on it, many things can cause kidney problems but the majority of dogs don't experience problems until later in life.

My vet recommended a special diet for dogs with kidney problems (low protein, etc.). I looked into them and they are all very expensive. Does anyone know of a more affordable brand, or are all of them expensive?

Steve007

Re: Kidney Failure

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:21 pm

My previous breed was one where this is more common (Dalmatians)than in most breeds. You can do this yourself inexpensively with the addition of brown rice to her diet mixed with low protein dry food. It is, of course, more complex than this, but not much. Look up "Rice diet dogs kidney"and you'll find lots of recipes. I am not a fan of cooking for your dogs, but this is not exactly cooking and isn't tough to do. Don't get complex, though you'll see foolishness for old ladies to make for their Pugs mixed in. . Pick a simple one. Don't panic. Feed more than once a day.

Alternatively, the major dog food companies do make dry food (forget canned) for this very purpose.

I presume your vet mentioned it, but she should have access to plenty of water.

Montana

Post by Montana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks, I'll do a search on the brown rice..makes sense. And yes, my vet did mention access to a lot of water, but my dogs always have fresh water available. This took my by complete surprise. Other than an old dachshund we had a few years back that developed a kidney problem shortly before he passed (he was going on 17 years of age), I've never had a dog with a kidney problem (or any other serious health problem).. I guess I've been lucky.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Be careful with the brown rice, it's kind of high in phosphorus. Phosphorus for kidney disease is a big no-no, as big or bigger than low protein. If you find a doable recipe online, check it against the guaranteed analysis of an rx renal diet.

A couple of years ago we had an older dog in Stage 3 renal failure, amd she wouldn't eat the rx diet. I called a few dog food companies and got info on their lowest phosphorus/protein formulas, and it turned out to be a senior formula. We fed that because she didn't have long to live anyway.

But with such a young dog, if her disease was caught early and she has some time, I'd consider biting the bullet and feeding the rx diet to give her the best chance possible.

Best of luck to you and your dog, sorry to hear about that diagnosis.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Ask your vet about a product called Azodyl, too. It helps reduce the BUN, creatinine, and Phosphorus levels in the blood so the kidneys dont have to work as hard.

Montana

Post by Montana » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks all for the tips.... This is all new to me, so I'm learning a lot.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:16 am

When I had a dog a reaction to a rabies shot and went into renal failure. I made some food of green tripe is preferred turmeric flat all forms of fresh parsley stew all that together once a heavy broth then blend it together adding fresh coconut oil
I made the biggest pot I could of this and at first I had to force feed as the very said squeaker want going to last the week that was a few years ago. Shes is still with us
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.