Red Mange

mixedbag

Red Mange

Post by mixedbag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:04 am

Hello,
My 7 mos. old Brit was just diagnosed with Demodectic mange. I have read a good amount of material on this, and have found some of the info contradicts with

others. Some say it is passed through the mother , others say all dogs carry the mite, immune disorders , etc.. I would like to have the option to breed this dog, but

that is not my sole intention. The Vet has put her on a regimen that will kill the mites and restore her skin to the normal state. My question is. If the dog is on

medication to kill and prevent the mites, how would the mites be passed through birth? If one day I should want to revive my hunting stock, I do not want to have to

spend hundreds of dollars on pups that might have the same condition, if indeed it is a genetic condition. Any info or theories appreciated.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Red Mange

Post by shags » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 am

Demodectic mange isn't red mange. Red mange is sarcoptic. They are caused by different mites. Red or sarcoptic mange is transmissable to humans, but demodectic isn't.

Most if not all dogs harbor demodectic mange mites. But healthy immune systems take care of it and prevent the mites making trouble. A dog with low or poor immunity will have trouble with demodex. Sometimes it's a temporary thing that treatment takes care of, sometimes it can be an ongoing problem.

In breeding, the worry isn't about passing on the actual mites to puppies, it's the possiblity of passing on a weak immune system.

Your vet should be able to provide you with information. Don't be shy about asking enough to understand.

Good luck with the treatment, hopefully it will work very well and you'll have no more problems with it.

mixedbag

Post by mixedbag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks, you are partly right. I did ask the Vet...."Demodicosis, also called demodectic mange or red mange, is caused by a sensitivity to and overpopulation of Demodex canis as the hosts immune system is unable to keep the mites under control. Demodex is a genus of mite in the family Demodicidae".

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:43 am

is your pups issue generalized or just a localized case, meaning just a spot or 2? not uncommon for a pup to show a mild localized case of demodex after some type of immune sytem challenging event like vaccination, a new home, or some other stressor.