Seeking new kibble

Taylor_B

Seeking new kibble

Post by Taylor_B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi folks
after reviewing quite a few studies on the whole grain-free situation, I'm hoping to switch one of our dogs off of a grain free food (she wasn't on it because of the grain free factor - just more because she had been dealing with digestive issues for sometime, and it was one she enjoyed that didn't upset her belly, so we stuck with it).

All that said, I'm looking for a performance-based food that doesn't include chicken.
Her digestive issues seem to stem from a poultry allergy, so we avoid that altogether and we have no issues.
I'm not partial to one particular brand, nor do I care to instigate an argument over which is better. Just seeking some recommendations that I can research.
Thanks!

art hubbard

Re: Seeking new kibble

Post by art hubbard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:24 pm

My dogs (GSP) do really good on Purinas Salmon & Rice, they look good, real shiny coates, feed less and of course very little to clean up.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi there!
Thank you - unfortunately, there is poultry by-product meal in that food :( total bummer because I've looked at them before and considered a switch, but it's not worth the risk of her being as sick as she was when she was last on a kibble with poultry in it.
Thanks again, though!

MustangTali

Post by MustangTali » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:44 pm

I went through similar issues with one of my dogs, I don't know if they have a poultry free recipe, but its probably worth a look, but I used the Black Gold brand and my dogs did well on it.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Purina makes at least two sensitive skin and stomach formulas w/o chicken. If you need to up protein or fat, easy enough to add a can of sardines now and then.

Good luck in your search.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks all - I'm going to being comparing a Wysong Anergen product and the Purina Pro Plan product to see which one we like better. Thanks again for the suggestions

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Taylor, What product are you feeding now? Not going to get into a bashing food post but not all grain free foods are bad and have been tested. The problem with some grain free products are high concentrations of legumes such as lentils, peas, potatoes etc. If they make up a significant amount of the product they can block the absorption of the Taurine. There are some out there though that are not based on legumes and can be fed to sensitive dogs with no issues as all. There are a couple boards available with research from UC Davis that can back that up.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:26 am

Give Zignature a look. All grain-free, limited ingredient formulas with no chicken. I've had my Brittany on the pork formula for a year and a half as she has allergies. She's done great on it. The pork formula is 31% protein and 18% fat.

https://www.zignature.com/?page_id=5&lang=en
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 am

Boy, a bird dog with a poultry allergy, what kinda luck is that! Fromm makes some good foods you could look at what they have, maybe a winner winner not so chickeny dinner in there but not sure.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Protein allergies in dogs are very rare. Have you tried adding a probiotic supplement, raw goat milk, or kefir?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 pm

My dog tested positive for most protein sources including chicken. Only negative for pork and venison. In searching for a pork or venison food I found that many still had chicken or lamb meal down the ingredient list. The other issue I found was that many of the grain-free limited ingredient dog foods were quite low in protein and fat. That's why I went with Zignature. It's not cheap but with just one dog it's not a problem. $55 for a 27 lb. bag of the pork formula. Venison is really expensive. BTW, most of Zignature's dry foods are actually made by NutriSource Pet Foods in Perham, MN.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Taylor_B wrote:Hi folks
after reviewing quite a few studies on the whole grain-free situation, I'm hoping to switch one of our dogs off of a grain free food (she wasn't on it because of the grain free factor - just more because she had been dealing with digestive issues for sometime, and it was one she enjoyed that didn't upset her belly, so we stuck with it).

All that said, I'm looking for a performance-based food that doesn't include chicken.
Her digestive issues seem to stem from a poultry allergy, so we avoid that altogether and we have no issues.
I'm not partial to one particular brand, nor do I care to instigate an argument over which is better. Just seeking some recommendations that I can research.
Thanks!
I don't think I'd screw with it in that case. Remember, dogs aren't dropping dead left and right from heart disease cause by GF diets. Just that some have a greater instance. ANd that can depend on the food too.