Food amounts

nanney1

Food amounts

Post by nanney1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 am

Took new pup home on Sunday. Breeder gave us a large freezer bag full of food. Said that puppy would eat 1 1/2 cups three times per day. I didn't think much about it until I got home. That equals 4 1/2 cups of food per day. My 30lb adult eats 1 1/2 cups per day total. And my 100lb adult male eats 4 1/2 per day.

I couldn't imagine that this puppy, who currently weighs around 25 lbs would eat as much as an adult of 100lbs. Granted, this pup should top out at around 100 or so, it still seemed like a lot.

That afternoon we fed him 1 1/2 cups and he ate it all. Same thing later in the evening, the next morning and afternoon. He slowed down last night and only ate 1 cup, leaving a 1/2 cup in the bowl. I fed him one cup this morning and he finished it so who knows.

The food I'm feeding, Pro Plan Puppy, recommends much less. Max of 2 1/2 cups per day up to 3 months. So, I'm currently way over the recommended amount. My guess is he'll continue to eat less of what we give him and it will eventually come closer to the recommended amounts.

reba

Re: Food amounts

Post by reba » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:31 am

This I can tell you: Dogs of the same breed and same size might require different amounts of feed/food.

Always measure how much you feed so adjustments can be made.

Keep an eye on your pup. Do not let it get fat. I don't know what breed pup you have, but if it's a pointing breed it should show ribs, but be very strong.

Don't be over concerned about feeding/eating. A neurotic dog owner will create a neurotic dog. Boy have I seen issues develop over feeding dogs. such as, "my dog didn't eat it's food". Well in my experience if the dog is healthy, it will eat it tomorrow :D