Cyst? or not?

nanney1

Cyst? or not?

Post by nanney1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:18 pm

I have an older dog who enjoys wrestling and mouth fighting with my new puppy. As a result, she has been nicked around the mouth area several times by baby teeth. She has a few tiny scabs around her mouth and jaw from the nicks. Last weekend, I noticed a place that wasn't scabbed. Instead, it was raised up like a bump under the skin. My thought was that one of those nicks caused the bump and that it might be scar tissue under the skin, or worse case, an infection. By the middle of the week, the bump had grown to the point that I took her to the vet.

Vet took one look and felt it and said it was a cyst that would need surgery. Said it had likely been growing for a good while. I was quite surprised as that was not what I was expecting. I was guessing he would express the bump, and send me away with antibiotics. So, I scheduled her for surgery this week.

The raised up place seemed smaller yesterday, and today is significantly smaller. In fact, just glancing at her, I can no longer see it. I have to actually touch it to feel that something is still there. At this point, I don't plan to take her for surgery. I'll monitor tomorrow and if it is still small or shrinks more, I'll call and cancel.

nanney1

Re: Cyst? or not?

Post by nanney1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Size has continued to diminish. Last night if felt softer as if it might be about to dissolve. Today it feels harder again as if it is a cyst. However, it is so much smaller that I have to feel around on her jaw to find it.