Is too much bathing bad for them?

Umele

Is too much bathing bad for them?

Post by Umele » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Is it bad for their skins to bathe them too often? After beach play, I want to give Indy a bath but is once or twice a week too much? I would love to shampoo her each time she plays at the beach but is there a limit? Should I just rinse her off? She looks clean enough but must still have some sand and salt residue on her? Don't want to overdo things. Please advise?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Is too much bathing bad for them?

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

My dogs live in the house. After every run in the woods/fields they get a warm rinse- off - and often soap- from the outside tap. I've never seen any problem from doing this. Of course every dog is different .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:53 pm

My setter lives in the house also. After he gets into the muddy creeks and ditches he gets a bath with the hose on the tailgate. During the season this is almost weekly and I have not noticed and ill effects.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes, twice a week with shampoo is too much. If its a fresh water rinse that would be fine. When mine need a bath we throw sticks in the pond.

What breed of dog is Indy?

Welcome to the forum.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

I don’t wash my dogs with soap very often, if I have to once or twice a year the long hair dogs I have had seem to do better with it than my GSP. His normally shiny slick coat drys out pretty bad for a week or so and he dumps hair. I have had much better luck with a hose and just hitting them with a brush real quick once a day, maybe a wipe down with a damp rag once in a while. I think most dog stink comes from feet and ears, those can be maintained without a bath.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-