Best Puppy food for a GSP

mavrick8019

Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by mavrick8019 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:34 pm

I have a 3 month old GSP. I have been told to feed him high protein puppy food. I train him 45 minutes twice a day. The question I have; I bought some high protein puppy food 22% protein and 12% fat. Over the weekend he has had diarrhea. I stopped feeding him today and he seams to be a little better. What is every bodies recommendation.

mnaj_springer

Re: Best Puppy food for a GSP

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:26 pm

I feed Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 all year to all stages (other than retired old dogs). But what did the breeder feed? Are you feeding the same or did you make a sudden switch?

You'll get a ton of different recommendations for specific food, and there are more qualified people to answer this particular question than I, but not all dogs are the same. I use PPP Sport because it works for my dogs. If it didn't I would look for something else.

Also, when you say you're training for 45 minutes, what exactly do you mean? Most pups that age can only be trained for 5-10 minutes.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

pro plan 30-20. I feed the salmon & rice. great food.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pm

X2
I would bet bet as mnaj_springer said that you made the switch too fast.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:06 pm

I feed PPP puppy I like a little lower protein because I don't want real fast growth.
I would try feeding les food until the diarrhea goes away......Cj

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Every puppy I have ever had, has been fed a 30/20 puppy diet.
I have had no problems.

When I had a litter I ground up the kibble in a blender and fed it to the pups(and momma) mixed into warm water along with a healthy dollop of Whole milk(4% fat) cottage cheese. I did it this way to minimize throwing away of stale or sour food since I could mix up a batch of feed in seconds from the powdered kibble.

I generally buy one bag of puppy food per pup. When it is done the dog(which is somewhere around 6-8 months old) goes on an adult ration which is typically also 30/20. Again never had a problem.

In recent years I have been feeding a 26/18 ration and the dogs do quite well on it.

If I only had one dog, I would undoubtedly feed it Pro Plan Performance. It is an EXTREMELY well balanced, consistent and well researched ration that is specifically formulated for performance dogs. IMO it is the gold standard for bird dog feeds.

I suspect your pup had a relatively normal reaction to a major change in food and that it will go away fairly quickly as the dog acclimates to the new food.

Oh and I also free feed my dogs. The only ones that ever got a little heavy because of it were the two I had spayed, and they didn't get really heavy, just kinda chunky. They ran and hunted just fine. All the rest kind of self regulated.

RayG

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:44 am

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm

I stopped using PPP 30/20 because I kept getting bags with worms in them.
I switched to Kinetic Dog Food and my dogs seem to be doing great on it. A few of my other friends made the switch and are happy. I order from chewy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 am

MGIII wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm
I switched to Kinetic Dog Food and my dogs seem to be doing great on it. A few of my other friends made the switch and are happy. I order from chewy.

Never heard of that. I have never had worms in any dogfood I used and have had multiple brands over the years. I strongly suspect it was a supplier or retailer storage issue(or possibly how you were storing it) and not something the manufacturer was responsible for. I have had stuff get wet and get moldy, but never wormy.

I have no idea what is in Kinetic dog food but if it works for your dogs...great.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 08, 2019 6:45 am

As Ray Says there is no way you got dog food with worms in it from the from the manufacturer no matter who made it. Especially more than once. I had bag of Diamond it my feed room for 18 months. I finally mixed it in and fed it .It looked as good as the day I bought it. Maybe Lost some Nutrition but who knows. Cj

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
MGIII wrote:

Never heard of that. I have never had worms in any dogfood I used and have had multiple brands over the years. I strongly suspect it was a supplier or retailer storage issue(or possibly how you were storing it) and not something the manufacturer was responsible for. I have had stuff get wet and get moldy, but never wormy.

I have no idea what is in Kinetic dog food but if it works for your dogs...great.

RayG

I’m gonna tell you that I’m not the only one in the area that had these issues. We went to multiple stores to buy the food and opened the food at the stores to verify the issue. Sure enough worms in almost all the bags. I can bet it was the supplier but it happened enough that I was sick of dealing with it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Were these live worms and did the stores try to find out why there was worms in their food......Cj

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Wed May 08, 2019 6:26 pm

cjhills wrote:Were these live worms and did the stores try to find out why there was worms in their food......Cj

Yes the worms were alive and the stores didn’t have answers. purina just gave coupons and didn’t give us any answers.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

I got a bag of Purina Hi Pro years ago that had a dead dryed out mouse in it. Contacted Purina and they sent me a coupon for a new bag of food. Never used that coupon and never used Purina again. But as I think abut it, what else could they do? How mny millions of dog's have lived healthy lives on Purina foods?

Your pup got the drizzle's, you did a sudden food change. Half and half for several days before turning over. As far as all these custom food's out here, I've used several of them and saw no difference in the dog's at all. Marketing leads people to believe they actually are better, even needed, but I don't buy that for one second. None of the premium foods have anywhere near the track record even old Purina dog chow has. As for puppy's, mine eat the same thing adult's eat and have always done fine. I only ever found one food that the dog's didn't do well on, lost their energy to quick. Came from American Nutrition in Salt Lake City. One food I'd say they did best on was Kennel Ration Biscuit. Baked food, mix with other food and the dogs would all pick out the biscuit and leave the rest. Bottom line for me on food is the dog's have to eat it! I don't have to pay $50 for a 30# bag of food to get there.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I've been in the grain business for 38 years and the companies I am or have been associated with have traded millions of lb's and bushels of grains, byproducts, and feed ingredients to most of the major pet food manufacturers. I can't tell you which food is the best for your pet, but I can assure you that the quality control process at these plants, and the amount of testing on inbound ingredients, have become exponentially more stringent during this time period.

There is always going to be a story of a bag of dog food with worms, or a dead rat, or soured food. But in my experience all the major manufacturers turn out a quality product, or they wouldn't be in business. I've been feeding bird dogs for 42 years, and in that time have primarily fed 3 manufacturers. Diamond, IAMS, and currently Pro Plan for last 15+ years. I guess I've been lucky that in all those years I've never had to return a single bag of dog food. Not 1, from any of those manufacturers.

There are 4 to 6 bird dogs in my kennels at any one time, currently 5 between the ages of 6 months and 11 y/o, they all eat the same food, they're all healthy, have good stools and plenty of energy. I'm sure they'd be fine on Blue Buffalo, Hills, Diamond, or Ole Roy. My son feeds Kirkland to his two britts and they look great. I guess other than having to take care of a dog with food alergies or such, I really don't understand why people stress so much about this subject. It's really not that complicated, feed a bag of food, if your dog does well on it...continue, if not, change. The stuff I worry about is more along the line of snares, conibears, barbed wire, wild horses, snakes, cars/trucks, old wells, lost dogs, sand burrs, lack of birds, too many birds (in TX once), and all the other stuff that goes with turning a dog loose in bird country.

I must be bored...c'mon bird season.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 am

Pedro wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:14 pm
I've been in the grain business for 38 years and the companies I am or have been associated with have traded millions of lb's and bushels of grains, byproducts, and feed ingredients to most of the major pet food manufacturers. I can't tell you which food is the best for your pet, but I can assure you that the quality control process at these plants, and the amount of testing on inbound ingredients, have become exponentially more stringent during this time period.

There is always going to be a story of a bag of dog food with worms, or a dead rat, or soured food. But in my experience all the major manufacturers turn out a quality product, or they wouldn't be in business. I've been feeding bird dogs for 42 years, and in that time have primarily fed 3 manufacturers. Diamond, IAMS, and currently Pro Plan for last 15+ years. I guess I've been lucky that in all those years I've never had to return a single bag of dog food. Not 1, from any of those manufacturers.

There are 4 to 6 bird dogs in my kennels at any one time, currently 5 between the ages of 6 months and 11 y/o, they all eat the same food, they're all healthy, have good stools and plenty of energy. I'm sure they'd be fine on Blue Buffalo, Hills, Diamond, or Ole Roy. My son feeds Kirkland to his two britts and they look great. I guess other than having to take care of a dog with food alergies or such, I really don't understand why people stress so much about this subject. It's really not that complicated, feed a bag of food, if your dog does well on it...continue, if not, change. The stuff I worry about is more along the line of snares, conibears, barbed wire, wild horses, snakes, cars/trucks, old wells, lost dogs, sand burrs, lack of birds, too many birds (in TX once), and all the other stuff that goes with turning a dog loose in bird country.

I must be bored...c'mon bird season.
Thanks for making perfectly good sense and leaving me nothing to belly ache about! :mrgreen:

hawkeye680

Post by hawkeye680 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 am

How much of the PPP Sport are you feeding growing puppies? I have a 11 week old and I am trying to make sure he gets what he needs.

The weight chart on the bag- does it take into account that the puppy is growing or are the weights for the final, adult weight?

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 am

hawkeye680 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 am
How much of the PPP Sport are you feeding growing puppies? I have a 11 week old and I am trying to make sure he gets what he needs.

The weight chart on the bag- does it take into account that the puppy is growing or are the weights for the final, adult weight?
Hawkeye-

I pay no attention whatever to the feeding schedules on any bag of dogfood. They are, at best, general guidelines only.

I look at the dog and that tells me all I need to know about how much food to put in the bowl. If the puppy has ribs sticking out, it needs more feed. If you can't see or feel a rib and the pup is waddling around...it needs less. Keep in mind that a puppy grows in spurts. it will fatten up and then have a shot of growth and slim right down with the cycle repeating itself until the pup is at or near its adult height and weight.

FWIW I have all my dogs on self feeders, pretty much from the time they are 6 months old. They do just fine. They are all outside dogs and eat what they need. I have had spayed females who got a little chunky, due, I believe to the side effects of spaying, but they still ran and hunted just fine as well, including in front of a horse at field trials. One got her FC in all age stakes long after she was spayed, so she could still run a pretty fair lick, even if she was a little on the heavy side.

If you are keeping your puppy indoors, and you only have one dog, I would feed it enough so that there is usually a little bit left in the bowl when the pup walks away.

RayG

MNTrout68

Post by MNTrout68 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm

We're on our first bird dog (GSP) and I wanted to make sure he got the "best." We were probably also a little too susceptible to blog-based nutrition fads. So we fed Orijen Puppy to our GSP for the first year. He loved it, he grew nicely with a very good coat and he took to all his training just fine. Eventually I got really sick of paying the crazy price tag and my vet convinced me that there was no need to stick with grain-free. We've fed more "standard" bid dog food since then - mostly Victor and Nutrisource and he's done fine.

I will tell you, the dog's few digestive issues have almost always been my fault - mostly overfeeding based on the recommendation on the bag, or underfeeding based on not paying enough attention to his physique. Eventually, when he would go through periods of getting super skinny and gangly, we would up his feed, which he always appreciated. When he would get a little round and pollute the house with industrial-grade toxic gas, we cut him back.

Yellow Dog1

Post by Yellow Dog1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:02 am

MGIII wrote:

Kinetic dog food is awesome.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:22 am

Feed a cost efficient brand that is easily acquired nationally so as to minimize the impact of diet variance/availability, should you travel.
Look at your dog. You will soon discern both quality and amount to feed.
There are many decent options available today. Dog food is HUGE business and therefore very competitive.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:15 pm

MNTrout68 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm
We're on our first bird dog (GSP) and I wanted to make sure he got the "best." We were probably also a little too susceptible to blog-based nutrition fads. So we fed Orijen Puppy to our GSP for the first year. He loved it, he grew nicely with a very good coat and he took to all his training just fine. Eventually I got really sick of paying the crazy price tag and my vet convinced me that there was no need to stick with grain-free. We've fed more "standard" bid dog food since then - mostly Victor and Nutrisource and he's done fine.

I will tell you, the dog's few digestive issues have almost always been my fault - mostly overfeeding based on the recommendation on the bag, or underfeeding based on not paying enough attention to his physique. Eventually, when he would go through periods of getting super skinny and gangly, we would up his feed, which he always appreciated. When he would get a little round and pollute the house with industrial-grade toxic gas, we cut him back.
I'm not so sure you can over feed a dog. In my experience they eat to much getting going but if you keep feeding to much they will reach a point where thy simply eat what they need. Presently what I feed depends on what's around. I generally go to the Walmart 50 mi away and get two bags. Normally Ol Roy, Pedigree or Dog Chow, I buy to bags at a time. I go the Madras and get it, 32 mi, and Pedigree is 32# for $25, at Walmart 50# is abut $22! Dow Chow local, Madras runs about the same in that light bad. At Walmart it's 50# bag around $20. Found it in Madras last week in 50# bags for $22, got two and saved 40 miles driving to Walmart. Friend of mine is convinced her dog's are better off because she feed's food from the feed store that is $42 for a 30# bag, her dog's are in no better shape than mine! But I suspect the confidence in the food your feeding must mean something. When I brought Sis home I had her on Purina Puppy Chow, same as the kennel I got her from fed. Well she'd leave her bowl and go eat with Squirt or Stormy and their adult food. Stormy usually went and ate her puppy chow. She's 8 mos now and in fine shape. makes me wonder the real need for a puppy chow!

Easy to get all tied up in this dog food maze. they tell you what they need to to get you to buy their food. True or not doesn't matter, sales do matter. Then likely none of it will hurt the vast majority of dog's and if it bother's your's it probably your dog and not the food! Something I have noticed over the past number of years is dog food being recalled. Seem's it always a premium food! Have never seen Pedigree or Dog Chow recalled and they have been around a long long time! You want to feed a premium food and can afford it, go for it, it'll make you feel better!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Chewy.com will deliver your dog food and supplies to your door cheaper than you can buy it any where else...…..Cj

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:43 pm

I deal with bulk feed ingredients for all kinds of animals and pets. I would strongly advise choosing a high quality food from a specialty dog food company. I would avoid the generic and major brands like the plague. There really is significant differences in what goes into different feeds. However not all "designer"foods are high quality.

IDHunter

Post by IDHunter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:09 pm

brdhntr wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:43 pm
I deal with bulk feed ingredients for all kinds of animals and pets. I would strongly advise choosing a high quality food from a specialty dog food company. I would avoid the generic and major brands like the plague. There really is significant differences in what goes into different feeds. However not all "designer"foods are high quality.
Got any recommendations?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:01 pm

brdhntr wrote:
Define "high quality". Food from a specialist food company. Well leave to go hunting for a week, travel 1500 miles and toward the end of the week run out of food on a Saturday. Only thing open on Sunday is the grocery store and they don't carry specialty foods! What will you feed the doesn't give your dog the loose stools? Actually not all in fact few grocery store brands are junk food, for many I think they simply don't cost enough to be considered a quality food!

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Wed May 13, 2020 5:22 pm

IDHunter wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:09 pm
brdhntr wrote:
Got any recommendations?
I like Canine Health Forward. They are out of Two Harbors Minnesota, he is fussy about Ingredients and will ship food. Of the bigger brands I've delt with I'm impressed with Earthborn Holistic. I think they're available from Chewy.com

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed May 13, 2020 6:37 pm

It looks like it is made in Ohio. They Don't Say what company manufactures it. Not made in Two Harbors for sure....Cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu May 14, 2020 5:11 am

A heads up for chewey customers...did you know they just donated 2 million dollars to HSUS? That's an animal rights organization that pays CEO Wayne Pacelle over $320,000 a year to attempt to limit or eliminate hunting. Most of HSUS income goes to 'overhead' and not to shelters.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 pm

mavrick8019 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:34 pm
I have a 3 month old GSP. I have been told to feed him high protein puppy food. I train him 45 minutes twice a day. The question I have; I bought some high protein puppy food 22% protein and 12% fat. Over the weekend he has had diarrhea. I stopped feeding him today and he seams to be a little better. What is every bodies recommendation.
A 12 week old any breed pup will eat anything (excluding any health or dietary conditions) and some even eat their own ,if not others feces and a few other mammals also.
The percentage figures get lost when this happens (unless the pup is kept in laboratory conditions) ..
22% protein is not necessarily high for a 12 week old pup and depending on fat,well that is protein anyway?
Pretty much anything and everything is what I have always fed my pups . Variety being the spice of life and it never made one bit of difference with kibble/dry food on a change of manufacturers bag later in life .
I imagine if you stopped feeding him for a day like you say , then that would make a difference to what came out the other end.
Cooked chicken from Walmart is good , so is raw tripe , raw carrots are great for the pups teeth ,and apples are fun,they also love raspberries .

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Fri May 15, 2020 6:33 am

cjhills wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:37 pm
It looks like it is made in Ohio. They Don't Say what company manufactures it. Not made in Two Harbors for sure....Cj
I meet him at a trade show in Minnesota. I could not remember where he was from. My wife looked on the bag and told me Two Harbors. I'll double check.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 am

polmaise wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 pm
mavrick8019 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:34 pm
A 12 week old any breed pup will eat anything (excluding any health or dietary conditions) and some even eat their own ,if not others feces and a few other mammals also.
The percentage figures get lost when this happens (unless the pup is kept in laboratory conditions) ..
22% protein is not necessarily high for a 12 week old pup and depending on fat,well that is protein anyway?
Pretty much anything and everything is what I have always fed my pups . Variety being the spice of life and it never made one bit of difference with kibble/dry food on a change of manufacturers bag later in life .
I imagine if you stopped feeding him for a day like you say , then that would make a difference to what came out the other end.
Cooked chicken from Walmart is good , so is raw tripe , raw carrots are great for the pups teeth ,and apples are fun,they also love raspberries .
A man after my own heart!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Don,
Believe it or not ! (but there is a couple on this board actually know for real that I sold Dog food of all brands and manufacturers in my own store) and gladly did ! ..while feeding my own with everything . I tried for a while to tell customers what my dogs are being fed ,but sales were suffering , so I reverted to telling them my dogs were on the same food as they were buying from me , or what I was suggesting they should :wink: . Sales increased and I am now a wealthy man with No money and healthy dogs .
It's a long video I know , but 10 minutes for a dog's well being is ...well?..... :?: Or not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RAl_bp ... e=youtu.be