Costco Dog Food???

Post Reply
Mackenzie
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Costco Dog Food???

Post by Mackenzie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:20 am

Hi, I’ll hopefully be getting a GSP puppy in a couple of months if everything works out. I’ve been doing a bunch of research on dog food and man there is a lot of information out there. We are frequent Costco shoppers and the Kirkland Signature Series for both puppies and mature and adult dogs have received some rave reviews. Some of these high end foods out there I’d have to refinance the house it’s crazy. I don’t want it to sound like I’m trying to cheap out on the dog food because that’s not the case. To me the quality, value and actually convenience I guess seems like a great option to me. Before I go this route I’d like to see if anyone uses this brand or if you have information on it that you could educate me on. Ty

This is my first post so hello to everyone.

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8388
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:40 pm

I don't feed that , but I had a look at it. Looks good to me. 28% protein looks good .... 17 % fat Be interested in what others think.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 43452.html

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 28% Minimum
Crude Fat 17% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3% Maximum
Moisture 10% Maximum
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.05% Minimum
Calcium 1.2% Minimum
Phosphorus 1.0% Minimum
Zinc 225 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.35 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 250 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 3.0% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% Minimum
Total Microorganisms* Not Less Than 1,000,000 CFU/lb
(Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri)

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Calorie Content
3,761 kcals/kg (390 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

reba
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:50 am
Location: Central Coast of CA

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by reba » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Been feeding Costco Lamb and Rice to a number of different breeds, including GPS's, for many years.

My GSP's hunt months on end in the fall of every year.

Good stuff.

birddogger2
Rank: Champion
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am
Location: Lower slower Delaware

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:31 pm

I don't feed it either, but it looks OK to me. It is most definitely NOT a cut rate feed, with those protein and fat levels. High levels of protein and fat do cost what they cost.

I did some checking and it appears that the product is made for Costco by Diamond Pet, which is a major pet food company. So you can be fairly sure the formula is a good one and the QC is up to snuff.

Try a bag and see how the youngster does on it. That is really the only way to know.

FWIW, I transition off puppy food fairly quickly. My dogs are usually eating an adult ration by the time they are 6 months old and I like something in the 30%protein/20% fat range.

RayG

Dakotazeb
Rank: 3X Champion
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: South Dakota / Arizona

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:25 pm

kirkland dog food is made by Diamond. Whether that's good or bad you be the judge. Diamond has had a number of recalls in the past but a lot of people feed it. I'm not expressing an opinion, just stating the facts.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

slistoe
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3616
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by slistoe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Buddy of mine has fed all his dogs Kirkland for many years. Can't say his dogs were any worse off than mine.

User avatar
oldbeek
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Lancaster CA

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by oldbeek » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:42 pm

About 6-7 years ago, they had a recall because of some product traced back to some other Diamond made products. My dog just stopped eating it at about the time the recall came out. But that was 6 yrs ago.

JONOV
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:26 am
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by JONOV » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Its a fine dog food.

One thing to consider about dog foods. Look at people that have a vested interest in the performance and appearance of their dogs, and own or handle multiple dogs. Breeders, Field Trialers, Pro-handlers in the show ring...You'll see a lot of Purina (because they support a lot of dog-sports,) Victor, some Diamond. I've known at least two or three breeders that feed the Costco brand food.

What you won't see is people that read a lot of blog posts or a website from a Dentist about dog food or Raw food fanatics. If those things made a big difference, they would be taking advantage of them en masse. But they aren't. Nor will you see them feeding a dog food that is specifically formulated for a lab (or Poodle or GSP.) Because they know that by and large, they're the same when it comes to their GI tract.

If your dog develops skin issues or GI issues, maybe then you look at an upmarket limited ingredient food. I have one friend wiht a dog that developed an ulcer and Merrick food seemed to greatly solve their problems. Its expensive but he only came to it as a recommendation from a GI Specialty vet.

RyanDoolittle
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Fed the back to nature crap.and nearly lost my dog, a friend did loose his. He had people in lab suits picking up poop in his back yard for tests. After this I read reviews and there is a ton of them with sick dogs from the food.

I switched to PPP and havent looked back.

Mackenzie
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Mackenzie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks for all of the replies. So from all of your post it seems to be pretty good. I’m posting a link here to Costco to see which type I should switch to once she’s off the puppy food. I’d also like to see if you think it will be a good choice to feed her throughout her life. I’m not sure if I go to the Mature bad or Adult? I’d king of just like to make one switch and be done with it and it keep switching it up on her. They also sell the Natures Domain which is grain free, but the protein is pretty low on that and from what I’ve read you want a higher protein food I believe

https://www.costco.com/dog-food.html?br ... re%2522%7C

Yellow Dog1
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 pm
Location: Alvinston Ontario

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Yellow Dog1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 pm

I have been feeding my almost 14 year old Labrador Retriever Diamond High Energy for about 7 years with no issues. Costco is made by Diamond and my daughter has been feeding her Lab, Costco chicken/rice blend for 3 years now with no issue. My two UK labs are fed Native #3 have done extremely well on it and they do not like the Diamond High Energy kibble. You may have to experiment a bit.

JONOV
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:26 am
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by JONOV » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am
Thanks for all of the replies. So from all of your post it seems to be pretty good. I’m posting a link here to Costco to see which type I should switch to once she’s off the puppy food. I’d also like to see if you think it will be a good choice to feed her throughout her life. I’m not sure if I go to the Mature bad or Adult? I’d king of just like to make one switch and be done with it and it keep switching it up on her. They also sell the Natures Domain which is grain free, but the protein is pretty low on that and from what I’ve read you want a higher protein food I believe

https://www.costco.com/dog-food.html?br ... re%2522%7C
I'd go with the Adult Formula Chicken and Rice. Don't get scared off by the Grain. I think a lot of the grain concern is manufactured in our own minds. Especially when one considers, objectively, "Who said that Peas are good and Corn is Bad?"

Its a good food to feed her long term. But recognize if she has issues (GI or skin types) you might need to look at something different.

slistoe
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3616
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by slistoe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am
Thanks for all of the replies. So from all of your post it seems to be pretty good. I’m posting a link here to Costco to see which type I should switch to once she’s off the puppy food. I’d also like to see if you think it will be a good choice to feed her throughout her life. I’m not sure if I go to the Mature bad or Adult? I’d king of just like to make one switch and be done with it and it keep switching it up on her. They also sell the Natures Domain which is grain free, but the protein is pretty low on that and from what I’ve read you want a higher protein food I believe

https://www.costco.com/dog-food.html?br ... re%2522%7C
Just my opinion, but if you care for your dog and want it to perform to its best in the field I would steer way clear of anything "grain free".

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:47 pm

slistoe wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm
Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am
Thanks for all of the replies. So from all of your post it seems to be pretty good. I’m posting a link here to Costco to see which type I should switch to once she’s off the puppy food. I’d also like to see if you think it will be a good choice to feed her throughout her life. I’m not sure if I go to the Mature bad or Adult? I’d king of just like to make one switch and be done with it and it keep switching it up on her. They also sell the Natures Domain which is grain free, but the protein is pretty low on that and from what I’ve read you want a higher protein food I believe

https://www.costco.com/dog-food.html?br ... re%2522%7C
Just my opinion, but if you care for your dog and want it to perform to its best in the field I would steer way clear of anything "grain free".
Agreed
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Yellow Dog1
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 pm
Location: Alvinston Ontario

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Yellow Dog1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 am

slistoe wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm
Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am
Thanks for all of the replies. So from all of your post it seems to be pretty good. I’m posting a link here to Costco to see which type I should switch to once she’s off the puppy food. I’d also like to see if you think it will be a good choice to feed her throughout her life. I’m not sure if I go to the Mature bad or Adult? I’d king of just like to make one switch and be done with it and it keep switching it up on her. They also sell the Natures Domain which is grain free, but the protein is pretty low on that and from what I’ve read you want a higher protein food I believe

https://www.costco.com/dog-food.html?br ... re%2522%7C
Just my opinion, but if you care for your dog and want it to perform to its best in the field I would steer way clear of anything "grain free".
Really depends on the dog and in some instances breed. I have had remarkable experience with working dogs on raw meat, fat and vitamin supplements. I have had some dogs do generally well on kibble that contained grain but ran out of gas early on in the field. Dogs need fat for extended periods work and grain diets do not fit that particular need. Grain diets bloat and will add weight but do not provide energy like a heavy fat diet would.I would recommend a minimum 30/20 if your working your dog year round and adjust feeding ration as required.I have personally had great success with Native # 3, 30/20 that contains rice not corn.Even better is the Native #4 which is higher in fat.

slistoe
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3616
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by slistoe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Yellow Dog1 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 am
slistoe wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:17 pm
Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am
Thanks for all of the replies. So from all of your post it seems to be pretty good. I’m posting a link here to Costco to see which type I should switch to once she’s off the puppy food. I’d also like to see if you think it will be a good choice to feed her throughout her life. I’m not sure if I go to the Mature bad or Adult? I’d king of just like to make one switch and be done with it and it keep switching it up on her. They also sell the Natures Domain which is grain free, but the protein is pretty low on that and from what I’ve read you want a higher protein food I believe

https://www.costco.com/dog-food.html?br ... re%2522%7C
Just my opinion, but if you care for your dog and want it to perform to its best in the field I would steer way clear of anything "grain free".
Really depends on the dog and in some instances breed. I have had remarkable experience with working dogs on raw meat, fat and vitamin supplements. I have had some dogs do generally well on kibble that contained grain but ran out of gas early on in the field. Dogs need fat for extended periods work and grain diets do not fit that particular need. Grain diets bloat and will add weight but do not provide energy like a heavy fat diet would.I would recommend a minimum 30/20 if your working your dog year round and adjust feeding ration as required.I have personally had great success with Native # 3, 30/20 that contains rice not corn.Even better is the Native #4 which is higher in fat.
Steering clear of "grain free" does not equate to feeding a grain diet. If you are working your dogs hard a 30/20 ration is a necessity IMO, and it is better if you can get one based on chicken and chicken by-products with corn rather than rice - the dogs had more bottom on corn than rice. Not many manufacturers are willing to face the misinformation marketing with corn in their product these days though.

User avatar
Urban_Redneck
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: NE PA

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm

I would supplement with Omega3 fish oil capsules, the Omegas oxidize quickly in kibble. Omega 3 counteracts the inflammatory properties of Omega 6. Stay away from food with rice or soy.

Mackenzie
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Mackenzie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Well I just got great news today. The breeder called me today and the dog had her puppies on Thursday and everyone is doing excellent. She had a total of seven puppies and we are number seven on the list. So we are not sure if we’ll end up with a male or female it really doesn’t matter that much to us. He feeds the puppy and all of his dogs Purina Pro Plan Sport. Do you think it would be best to keep the puppy on Purina or would it be ok to switch to the Costco puppy?

Does everything I post always need to get approved by a moderator first before it post? Just curious if that’s the case and if so how long does that last? Ty

averageguy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by averageguy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm
I would supplement with Omega3 fish oil capsules, the Omegas oxidize quickly in kibble. Omega 3 counteracts the inflammatory properties of Omega 6. Stay away from food with rice or soy.
Why stay away from Rice?

Not arguing, just looking to learn.

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8388
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 pm
Well I just got great news today. The breeder called me today and the dog had her puppies on Thursday and everyone is doing excellent. She had a total of seven puppies and we are number seven on the list. So we are not sure if we’ll end up with a male or female it really doesn’t matter that much to us. He feeds the puppy and all of his dogs Purina Pro Plan Sport. Do you think it would be best to keep the puppy on Purina or would it be ok to switch to the Costco puppy?

Does everything I post always need to get approved by a moderator first before it post? Just curious if that’s the case and if so how long does that last? Ty
5 posts and you are free. ( This is to keep a spammer/advertiser from swamping the forum. ) Of course if you are a p.i.t.a , we check all posts. :) )

I wouldn't switch right away as the pup will be stressed enough leaving his/her Mom. Give it a week or two before switching and remember not to just switch . Go with 1: 3 and the 2: 3 for a week or two.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

slistoe
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3616
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by slistoe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:48 pm

Sharon wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:06 pm
Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 pm
Well I just got great news today. The breeder called me today and the dog had her puppies on Thursday and everyone is doing excellent. She had a total of seven puppies and we are number seven on the list. So we are not sure if we’ll end up with a male or female it really doesn’t matter that much to us. He feeds the puppy and all of his dogs Purina Pro Plan Sport. Do you think it would be best to keep the puppy on Purina or would it be ok to switch to the Costco puppy?

Does everything I post always need to get approved by a moderator first before it post? Just curious if that’s the case and if so how long does that last? Ty
5 posts and you are free. ( This is to keep a spammer/advertiser from swamping the forum. ) Of course if you are a p.i.t.a , we check all posts. :) )

I wouldn't switch right away as the pup will be stressed enough leaving his/her Mom. Give it a week or two before switching and remember not to just switch . Go with 1: 3 and the 2: 3 for a week or two.
As Sharon says, transition the pup if you are switching feeds and you will reduce the risk of the pup reacting adversely to the new food ration. We always buy some of the smaller bags of puppy food and send one home with each new owner - then they can have time to switch the pup over if they want.

JONOV
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:26 am
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by JONOV » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:34 pm

Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 pm
Well I just got great news today. The breeder called me today and the dog had her puppies on Thursday and everyone is doing excellent. She had a total of seven puppies and we are number seven on the list. So we are not sure if we’ll end up with a male or female it really doesn’t matter that much to us. He feeds the puppy and all of his dogs Purina Pro Plan Sport. Do you think it would be best to keep the puppy on Purina or would it be ok to switch to the Costco puppy?

Does everything I post always need to get approved by a moderator first before it post? Just curious if that’s the case and if so how long does that last? Ty
Initially I'd have it on PPP. No need to introduce any stressors to the dog and Purina isn't expensive anyway if she doesn't send you away with some. Think of it this way, the dog is already not potty trained and if an inside dog WILL crap in the house a few times as a young puppy. Why invite the possibility of giving it the runs during the first days you have the pup.

After a few days start introducing it to the new food in the ratios prescribed above.

Mackenzie
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:57 pm

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Mackenzie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:04 pm

I went to my local Costco this weekend. They did not carry the puppy signature type that I mentioned in my first post. They may carry it but it wasn’t there this weekend. They only had the grain free type. I’m not going grain free after all the negative stuff I read about grain free and heart related issues. So like mentioned in the last post I’ll probably end up using the Purina for now. I don’t want to worry about they have it one weekend then not again when I need it.

They did have a great deal on the 40 lbs Kirkland Signature Adult brand. Here it is in Costco.com for $40 something, but in Costco it was $28.99. Seems like a pretty good deal to me

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 43454.html

User avatar
Urban_Redneck
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: NE PA

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm

averageguy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am
Urban_Redneck wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm
I would supplement with Omega3 fish oil capsules, the Omegas oxidize quickly in kibble. Omega 3 counteracts the inflammatory properties of Omega 6. Stay away from food with rice or soy.
Why stay away from Rice?

Not arguing, just looking to learn.
Rice is high on the glycemic index and offers virtually zero nutrients

averageguy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 769
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:07 am

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by averageguy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm
averageguy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am
Urban_Redneck wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm
I would supplement with Omega3 fish oil capsules, the Omegas oxidize quickly in kibble. Omega 3 counteracts the inflammatory properties of Omega 6. Stay away from food with rice or soy.
Why stay away from Rice?

Not arguing, just looking to learn.
Rice is high on the glycemic index and offers virtually zero nutrients
Thank You.

Nothing is more conflicted and confusing that dog food discussions it seems. PPP has Salmon and Rice 30/20 formula and I have fed it at times is why I asked. Purina claims rice can be a good source of nutrition (carbs).

I just let my dogs condition be the tell of the tape as I have never been able to discern truth from fiction in all the polar opposite claims that exist on the subject of dog foods.

JONOV
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:26 am
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by JONOV » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm

averageguy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 am
Urban_Redneck wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm
averageguy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am


Why stay away from Rice?

Not arguing, just looking to learn.
Rice is high on the glycemic index and offers virtually zero nutrients
Thank You.

Nothing is more conflicted and confusing that dog food discussions it seems. PPP has Salmon and Rice 30/20 formula and I have fed it at times is why I asked. Purina claims rice can be a good source of nutrition (carbs).

I just let my dogs condition be the tell of the tape as I have never been able to discern truth from fiction in all the polar opposite claims that exist on the subject of dog foods.
Its also worth noting that the practical aspects of dogfood making play in as well. Meaning, in addition to making a food that's 30% protein, 20% fat, etc, they have to make a food that stays together in kibble form, that doesn't spoil, that dogs will eat, etc...That's hard to do without something that adds starch. If it isn't Rice or Corn it usually ends up being Peas or Sweet Potatoes.

User avatar
Urban_Redneck
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm
Location: NE PA

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by Urban_Redneck » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 am

JONOV wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:41 pm
averageguy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 am
Urban_Redneck wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 pm


Rice is high on the glycemic index and offers virtually zero nutrients
Thank You.

Nothing is more conflicted and confusing that dog food discussions it seems. PPP has Salmon and Rice 30/20 formula and I have fed it at times is why I asked. Purina claims rice can be a good source of nutrition (carbs).

I just let my dogs condition be the tell of the tape as I have never been able to discern truth from fiction in all the polar opposite claims that exist on the subject of dog foods.
Its also worth noting that the practical aspects of dogfood making play in as well. Meaning, in addition to making a food that's 30% protein, 20% fat, etc, they have to make a food that stays together in kibble form, that doesn't spoil, that dogs will eat, etc...That's hard to do without something that adds starch. If it isn't Rice or Corn it usually ends up being Peas or Sweet Potatoes.
While it gives ezzy heartburn whenever it comes up... You are right, starches are part of kibble because it's impossible to make kibble without them, period, full stop.

I feed a balanced raw diet, no carbs except the occasional pizza crust.

oregon woodsmoke
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 pm

averageguy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am
.Why stay away from Rice? ........
Rice is fine. It's carbs and dogs can burn carbs for energy. Some of the other grains have more variety in the nutrients they carry. Corn is nutrition dense and contains more fat than other grains. Wheat is strong in the B vitamins. Different grains are good for different nutrients. But rice is fine for carbs. You don't feed straight rice, you feed other things with it and add calories with the rice.

I don't buy kibble and my dogs get brown rice in some of their food. It's not causing any problems. But they aren't eating meals of nothing but rice.

User avatar
DonF
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Antelope, Ore

Re: Costco Dog Food???

Post by DonF » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 am

My thought's on the dog food discussion's are that for the most part all the stuff about my food is better than your's is it's just a scam. I've fed Nutro Max in the past and it's good food but just to expensive for me. Only food I ever fed that was a total failure was some stuff by American Nutrition in Utah. For me clearly the best food I ever fed was Biscuit by Kennel Ration. I've done Purina feed. Pedigree for a long time and fooled with a few other's. Any difference in the dog's from one to another I couldn't notice. The girl friend feed's her dog's American Nutrition at $45 for 30#! What a waste. One of the most important point's of dog food is if the dog will eat it. Best food there was Biscuit. When we changed the dog's over to it, they all picked out the Biscuit and left the rest. Biggest difference I saw is it was baked food with no oil to get the dog's to eat it! That greasy stuff you feel on your hands if you stick them down in a bag of food is oil sprayed on as a flavor enhance'r. Cost is a big factor for me, always has been. Never had so much income I didn't have to worry about cost of anything, still don't. I feed Old Roy High Proformance these days, dog's eat it and do well. Seem's to me that every recall on dog food in my memory has been with one of the super premium foods, has to say something. So if your dog eats the food you get, maintain's well on it and you can afford it, go for it. Probably won't hurt your dog's and you'll feel better about it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Post Reply