Swelling after neutering a male dog

weimdogman

Swelling after neutering a male dog

Post by weimdogman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:14 am

5 days ago I had a 18 month old male neutered. Vet said there is a problem he has swelled up. He noticed the the dog urinated a orange stream so asked about a uti?

I told him not that I know of but dog is prone to drink 2x the water of his littermates but has been checked and isnt diabetic.

He confirmed not diabetis as he had checked the urine for high sugar.

Dog is wearing the cone and on antibiotics. I am washing him up but he is a bloody swollen mess. Took him back yesterday and vet says yeah this may burst but he didnt want to drain anything.

Dog is in good spirits other then frustrated with the cone!

Anyone else have a similar experiance?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Swelling after neutering a male dog

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:29 pm

See you have no answers. I can't help either. Never had a spayed or neutered dog get a bad infection. Trust time will heal that all up for your dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm

It's not normal but it can happen. Watch for signs of anemia like pale mucous membranes or decrease in energy. Those would indicate a big issue and the vet needs to find the bleeder. The much more likely scenario is that it was a small skin vessel that bled until it filled the vacated space, clotted and stopped. If that's truly the case, reopening it to remove the clot would create an opportunity for the bleeding to restart and increase your odds of a secondary bacterial infection to move in.

Long story short, if his attitude is good and his gums are bright pink, you'll likely be fine. It'll just take a few days longer to get there. Things to watch for: foul smelling discharge, fever, loss of appetite...Any of those would indicate an infection and a need for your vet to modify his / her antibiotic strategy

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks for the replies.
Dogs attitude is great😉
He wants to play fetch when he isnt spinning in circles trying to lick himself. That cone is not his friend!