Weight loss

nanney1

Weight loss

Post by nanney1 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:23 pm

I have an older dog (9) that seems to be losing weight. He’s a large dog that has always carried a great deal of muscle. Lately, he seems be losing muscle and seems more skinny/bony.

I typically feed Pro Plan Performance to my young dogs, however he and another older bitch are both on Pedigree adult maintenance 21/10. It is a lower calorie food that seemed to keep them in good weight without getting fat as they aged. I’m now re-thinking this food for him.

His energy levels are fine and he eats with enthusiasm. So I think I’m just seeing him finally start to age a little. I don’t think he needs to be on 30/20 Pro Plan Performace, but maybe something with more protein/fat/calories. Any suggestions?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Weight loss

Post by shags » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Absent some kind of illness, seems like maybe your dog isn't maintaining on that maintenance diet, is he?

I'd switch to a better quality dog food and make sure the dog gets a good comditioning routine to help him build up his muscle. Nine years old isn't all that elderly for a healthy dog.

IME dogs do better going into their senior years with a little bit of weight and good muscle. Having those reserves helps when they hit some "off" days or illness.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:15 pm

He probably doesn't need to be on PP Sport 30/20 but he does need to be on a better food than Pedigree. Pedigree is a fairly low quality dog food. Look at the first ingredient, Whole Ground Corn. Any time the first ingredient is a grain and not a whole meat or meal meal it's not a very good food. Switching him from Pro Plan Performance had to be a huge change for him. He needs more than a 21/10 food. Since you were already feeding him Pro Plan why did you go down to Pedigree? I would suggest putting him back on Pro Plan Bright Mind that is for senior dogs 7+. It's 29% protein and 14% fat. Feed him a coupe bags and see if you notice a change. Good luck.
Last edited by Dakotazeb on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:50 pm

you ansewer you own question,you switch food try a few differant brands and find one that works for the dog
a vet check might be a good choice just to make sure the dog has no illness,
I say this because I had a pointer and a setter I changed food brands the setter did great but the pointer lost weight, badly, something in the food or lack of didn't agree with him, after the vet visit change brands again both did fine

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:36 pm

I used Proplan Savor Chicken & Rice Schredded Blend 28/13 360 kcal/cup for my old lab and it kept her lean but fit. If you have PPP 30/20 around, you could just cut in some of it.