Hearing Problems

grant
GDF Junkie

Hearing Problems

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:02 pm

Does anyone's dogs experience lose of hearing due to guns firing over their head?

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:27 am

I haven't heard of anyone's dogs having problems from the gunshot. I know that my pups always seem to go deaf around the 4-5 month stage, no matter what I'm doing with them. :wink:

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:57 am

Is that typical?

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:42 am

I think at that age, they are testing their independance with us. By the time they reach 7 months, they're ready to listen and catch up with everything...just my experience...have you noticed it with Bell or Carl?

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:47 am

Oh! I thought you really ment that they went deaf and could no longer hear!

Sorry,

feralaussie

Post by feralaussie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:11 am

"Many gundogs go deaf because of inconsiderate owners who fire with their dogs so near eardrums are affected. Fire with your dog just a little behind you and try not to continually fire over his head."
"How to train a gundog" by Roy Burnell, Australia's outstanding authority.
This comment captions a photo; hunter with shotgun aimed, his dog sitting just off to his left and back a little. If the dog was to swing his head around to 1 o'clock, he would almost be blowing his nose on the bosses' trousers! And, definitely still in the shooters' line of sight.

Food for thought

Sam

raven

Post by raven » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:27 am

My dog seems to go deaf when playing with the neighbor dog :D

icefire

Post by icefire » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:59 am

usually you are ahead of the dog when firing so it should not be to big of an issue. since Behind the dog is usually where other people are you won't ususaly shoot right "over" the dog. if you are out alone and the birds flush that way you might be in a position to but I would guess not all that often. as far as their "selective deafness" there is usually a time, after you know that they know what they are supposed to do that they decide to test you. ath least the hard headed ones do!