Bird Dog first aid kit

bamanicksbd

Bird Dog first aid kit

Post by bamanicksbd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:46 am

As trial and hunting season get closer I realize that I really need to update and refill my dog first aid kit. What items do you consider to be must have items for a field trial or hunting dog first aid kit? I am in Alabama and plan to trial and hunt in the SE US.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Bird Dog first aid kit

Post by shags » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:43 pm

A bottle of spray Vetericyn, good for man or beast.
Triple antibiotic *ointment* *without* any corticosteroids...for wounds and can be used in eyes for irritation by seeds etc. Don't use the cream or steroids in eyes ( steroids unless directed by the vet)
Roll of vet wrap
A couple of feminine hygiene pads for padding wounds or splints.
Skin stapler.
A few anti inflammatory tabs - for the dog. Rimadyl, carprofen, etc
Skunk recipe ingredients do double duty. The Dawn can be used for cleaning, the H202 can be used as an emetic, and the baking soda can be used for my upset stomach that I got dealing with any of the disasters helped by the above :D
My vet's phone number.

A bottle of American Honey or chocolate bourbon comes in handy after we're all put up for the night :D .
Last edited by shags on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:20 am

I keep a running list of items to consider for a dog first aid kit. I provide it for others to see and you can determine what is critical to you by reviewing this list. If anyone finds anything that should be included please respond to this post and I will add it to my master list for future requests....

Note: This list is a compilation from many sources. It is not complete and should be adjusted to the needs of each pet owner. Any recommended dosages are estimated for dogs weighing between 55 and 80 pounds, but should be verified independently by anyone using this list. Use this list at your own risk, it is only provided as general information. Do your own research and make your own first aid kit based on your own research and work with your Vet.
List of potential components:
Handbook "Emergency First Aid for Your Dog"
Emergency Information Card (phone #, drugs being used, health conditions, vet name and phone)
Removable Field Pouch for taking first aid into the field in a hunting vest or pack.
Durable First Aid Bag with removable Field Pouch (above)
Skunk Removal Solution Recipe (see below)
Nail Clippers (dog)
Tongue depressors
Sharptemp Veterinary Thermometer w/ Case and Clip
Stainless Steel Paramedic Shears 7 1/4"
Stainless Steel Kelly Forceps 5 1/2"
Exam Gloves
Heavy leather gloves, to protect from bites
Panty Hose, soft muzzle, restraint, tourniquet, etc.
Booties
Tic removal tool
Flea comb (find tics and fleas
Tweezers or Forceps
Hemostats
Wire Cutters
Bulb syringe
Safety Pins
Disposable Shaver
Needle
Waterproof matches
Skin Stapler w/ 35 SS Staples
Mylar Emergency Blanket 52" x 84"
Sterile Gauze Pads 4" x 4"
Sterile ABD Pads 5" x 9"
Sterile Multi-Trauma Dressing 10" x 30"
Sterile Bulk Roll Gauze 4.5" x 4 yd.
3M Vetrap self-adhering bandage wrap 4" x 5 yd.
Sterile Cotton Tipped Applicators
Waterproof Medical Tape 1" x 10 yd.
Latex Free Tourniquet 1" x 18"
Bottle Hydrogen Peroxide 8 oz. to induce vomiting - 1-3 tsp. every 5 minutes or to make skunk solution
Heat Pack
Instant Cold Compress
Syringe 10cc
Saline Solution sterile eye wash or wound wash out 2 4oz. bottles
New Skin for burns
Pepto bismol - Liquid - 3-4 tablespoons every 6 hours
Benadryl (allergic reactions/bee stings etc.) - 1-2 mg. per lb. every 8 hours
Aspirin Tablets 10 Aspirin - 5 mg. per lb. every 12 hours
Antihistamine Capsules 8
Box Anti-Diarrheal (Loperamide)
Packets Honey 2 – to raise blood sugar
Electrolyte replacement powder or drink
Hemostatic Agent (blood clotting) (e.g. Packets Celox Hemostatic Granules)
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Povidone-Iodine Swab sticks
Povidone Iodine
Antiseptic Wipes
Vaseline
Burn Gel with Lidocaine
Activated charcoal wash
EMT Gel
EMT spray
From your vet: Antibiotics, Metronidazole, Eye Ointment, Cortisone Spray, Panalog

Comments: Other comments I have captured from other folks on Dog First Aid….

Wound Care Pack - ReadyDog K-9 first Aid has a skin stapler in it. Kit comes with instructions…

I would absolutely stay away from any non-steroidal medication except aspirin unless and until it is Ok’d by my vet. Some of these "multi-symptom" medications we take for granted contain Tylenol which (as far as I have heard) is toxic for dogs.

Odd that you can buy a first aid kit that contains sterile saline for wound, but if you walk into your pharmacy and ask for a liter of sterile saline they tell you to go get a prescription from your MD. Absurd! What do they think they are protecting us from? Do they think we're going to sell it on the street corner to saline addicts?

I also found out that iodinated Vaseline gauze (xeroform dressing) is a prescription item. Beyond absurd. I can buy Vaseline and iodine. I can buy gauze. I guess if I combine the two I'm making bootlegged controlled substances.

You can find bottles of sterile saline irrigate in the aisle with eye products. They are not full liter size, but excellent for most moderate first aid use. Pliers to remove porcupine quills are handy. Ace wraps both extra wide and regular. I would recommend adding some packs of "quick clot" sponge type bandages. They go by many different names, were originally designed to stop battlefield bleeding. You can "google" it and buy online. Also a roll of aluminum foil. For any large open abdominal wound after you flush well and cover with wet sterile gauze, wrapping with foil keeps wound moist yet clean. I have a soft muzzle in my kit. Another thought is a strong thick towel can be used for many things, such as sling to carry/drag an injured dog to a vehicle. I've even considered sewing a pocket down each long edge, so I could insert walking sticks (or something similar) to make a stretcher. Whether you include IV equipment or suture materials, is up to you. It really depends on how far from civilization you are, as to what you may need. Of course, your own medical skills may determine how useful some items will be, but if you are fully supplied you might be lucky enough to be with someone who has skills you don't to put it all too good use.

SKUNK Wash RECIPIE:
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup Baking Soda

1 teaspoon liquid soap
(Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is often recommended, but any dish soap will work)

Rubber or latex gloves

Mix in an open container (bucket or bowl); it will be fizzy, a clue that you shouldn't try to mix it or store it in a bottle or other closed container. Thoroughly wet your dog with warm water and then the solution while it is still bubbling. Knead it well into his/her coat, to chemically alter every bit of the smell on his/her hair. Be careful to keep the formula out if the dog's eyes, nose and mouth; you can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his face. Let the solution stand for 10 minutes before rinsing. Follow the bath with a thorough rinse. Be sure to protect the eyes when rinsing the head. Chances are you will not get all of the smell off of the face and will have to live with that as it wears off. You can try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.

After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:58 am

I fixed my list to make clear about the nsaids. No people ones for dogs.

mobirddog

Post by mobirddog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm

A roll of vet tape is a must. It has some stretch to it and adheres well. Some gauze and saline wash to flush cuts and small wounds. Also EMT Gel that you can use to help stop bleeds. Could get to be quite a bit of stuff if you're not a bit selective.
Most vets are happy to help you with suggestions.