Small stick or long thorn under skin

work765

Small stick or long thorn under skin

Post by work765 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:48 pm

There’s a small stick or thorn under my dogs skin near her sternum. Right under the surface. The vet recommends surgery to remove it. And he’s giving her pain meds and antibiotics for now.

Is it possible to just push it out? It’s about 2” long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Small stick or long thorn under skin

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:56 pm

I have no idea if you could push it out , but personally I trust my vet's opinion.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:41 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:56 pm
I have no idea if you could push it out , but personally I trust my vet's opinion.
I'm with Sharon...Art

work765

Post by work765 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm

The veterinarian recommended surgery, but didn’t even say it was critical. He said you can do it now, or you can wait to do it. That was his recommendation. It was a weird experience honestly. I asked him if I could push it out my self and he said, He couldn’t say to, because of his position, but that I could try to do it. He then prescribed anti inflammatories, antibiotics and pain medicine. And showed me the $1300 estimate to remove the stick.

I wasn’t clear If the stick would eventually make its way out of her body naturally. She’s been acting completely normal. It might have been in her up to a week the doctor said.

I’m taking her to another more affordable vet tomorrow am. See if I can have it done for less than $1300

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am

$1300!!! for sure shop around. I had 2 similar situation one a thorn that poked it way back out I just pulled it out myself. The other was a wire wound the we cleaned up and stitched up at the cabin, a year later a small piece of canola leaf came to the surface and worked itself free.

No sure where I read it but I like it "what would a coyote do"

Grant

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:18 am

Another alternative is to have your vet go over the estimate and see if anything on there is 'optional'. Perhaps the estimate is for optimal protocol on his end, but he moght be willing to chuck things like pre-op bloodwork, cardiac monitors, etc.

I had two dogs who both needed molar extractions, and the estimates were about $1500 each, but the vet was willing to drop a bunch of stuff, so that the total for both was the original total for one.

I wouldn't let a foreign body go on its own when it's near the abdomen or chest. I'd be wary of it migrating in, instead of out.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:37 am

work765 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:54 pm
The veterinarian recommended surgery, but didn’t even say it was critical. He said you can do it now, or you can wait to do it. That was his recommendation. It was a weird experience honestly. I asked him if I could push it out my self and he said, He couldn’t say to, because of his position, but that I could try to do it. He then prescribed anti inflammatories, antibiotics and pain medicine. And showed me the $1300 estimate to remove the stick.

I wasn’t clear If the stick would eventually make its way out of her body naturally. She’s been acting completely normal. It might have been in her up to a week the doctor said.

I’m taking her to another more affordable vet tomorrow am. See if I can have it done for less than $1300

Where do you live?! $1300 is ridiculous! Even if I had to sedate the dog, something like that shouldnt cost more than $150, antibiotics included. And yes, you very well may be able to push it out just like a big splinter.

work765

Post by work765 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 am

I live in Los Angeles/Santa Monica. Everything is absurdly over priced!! Ended paying $800. $400 for surgery and about $400 for anesthesia.
She has some stitches and has to wear the cone for a bit.

work765

Post by work765 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 am

Oh and I went to the cheap vet in town too!

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Good call
Glad she is fine. I had to have mine sedated for a cactus thorn. It was about $400.00 here in New Mexico but worth every penny to ensure she was fine and calm the wife down. :)

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:18 pm

You did the right thing even if the price was outrageous

That would of been $2-300.00 surgery at worst here in Georgia. That said I would of spent the higher price if that was my only option.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 am

My dog ran this up one of her nostrils. My vet had to sedate her to find and remove it. Cost was $158.

Oops. Pic didn't post. Anyway, it was a 4" long stick.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5