Ticks

Joe3232

Ticks

Post by Joe3232 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:30 pm

I found a tick crawling around my puppy's face today. Was very small, definitely a deer tick. This was about 3 hours after we were in the field. Surprised it was not attached at that point.

Wondering- am i supposed to do a "tick check" when we come home from the field? I do not know how I would ever find one. Any tips to reduce the risk of bringing a tick into the house? I dont want my family to get bit.

Thanks

NEhomer

Re: Ticks

Post by NEhomer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:22 am

A tick check after hunting is pretty standard practice Joe and they're easier to find than you'd imagine. Use a fine comb and also brush back the fur with your fingers esp around the neck and face area.

Here in New England, the ticks weren't bad this year. In the past I've had as many as a couple dozen crawling on my pup.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:54 am

Joe3232 Ticks are something you should always check as stated by NEhomer. Check your dog real good as well as your self.
My vest never comes in the house and hangs in the garage-detached garage. I live in a heavy tick area and can't stand them. Once dog was checked I would strip down and check myself really good.

Tick preventative for your pup & there are a lot out there. Tick puller I have one that looks like a (little cats paw tool) Plastic and two came in a box. One small & one a little bit larger. Works great and I have used it on myself.

My area has become tick central and the only way to live with them is through do diligence . Check ,check and check again tick borne illness is no joke.

Joe3232

Post by Joe3232 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. We have her on nexgard. Are there better tick preventative medecines?

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Check often. I'll do a quick visual scan anytime we're on a water break and often pull a few off that are crawling around on top. I'll then do a thorough check back at the truck when we're done for the day. Ears, head and neck, armpits and groin all all popular spots. I use a plastic lice comb as well as slowly stroke my hands across the head, neck, back and sides; it's surprising how many I can feel (at least on my shorthair). I'll do a third check when we're back home. He's an inside dog will full access to the house and we have two small boys, so I am extra careful with ticks. We use simparica, which is highly effective in my experience.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Joe3232 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:40 pm
Thanks for the replies. We have her on nexgard. Are there better tick preventative medecines?
That's what I use; it has worked really well for many years.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett