Safe water treatment for dogs?

Post Reply
weimdogman
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:02 am
Location: brookings s.dak.

Safe water treatment for dogs?

Post by weimdogman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:21 pm

I have a water tub in the yard that has 3 to 8 gallons of water in it for the dogs to get a drink. Can I add a small amount of bleach to eliminate the mosquito larvae? Some say a drop of oil ?

I know the dogs ingest far worse but I don't need to actively raise mosquitos in my yard.

birddogger2
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 am
Location: Lower slower Delaware

Re: Safe water treatment for dogs?

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:02 pm

I have been adding bleach to my dogs' water for many years. A splash of 5 1/2 -6% Sodium Hypochlorite, which is what liquid bleach actually is, into a 4-5 gal bucket, is quite safe to drink. A splash(1-2 fl.oz.) will keep the green algae down for several days. I also add a few ounces to my 100 gallon horse trough, to keep the water clear for a couple days. Some folks change the horse's water daily... I don't and with chlorinated water my horses have been fine for many years, as have my dogs.

My only problem is that in the last few years I cannot find plain bleach in the grocery stores. Everything has some sort of scent additive. I am not sure how safe the additives are, so i don't use bleach with additives. I found some old fashioned plain bleach at the Dollar Store. My son also suggested I go to Lowe's, Home Depot or a pool supply place and get the bleach used for pools. I checked and it is 6% hypochlorite, which corresponds to the high potency laundry bleach. Obviously if you can add it to pool water, it is safe to add to your dog's water.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:37 am
Location: aitkin,mn

Re: Safe water treatment for dogs?

Post by cjhills » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 am

Back in the days when my daughters showed horses, we put a little Chlorine bleach in the water the horses and dogs drank. So when we went to longer shows in areas with treated water the horses would drink local the water. It worked a also kept algae and mosquito larva down in the water tank.
I don't think it would be a problem.......Cj

Post Reply