Bicep tendonitis

khines2

Bicep tendonitis

Post by khines2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:54 am

Has anyone experience bicep tendonitis in their dog? Have a 11 yr old BLM that’s in great shape outside of those. He definitely favors that side. My vet told me to let him go and hunt him this year that it likely will be something he just has to deal with. Giving him anti inflammatories, of course.

Found some stuff on the internet that a few weeks of rest can heal it up. Worried that if I keep him on house arrest for a few weeks leading up to the season he will just get out of shape and hurt it again or worse once he starts hunting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ex28

Re: Bicep tendonitis

Post by ex28 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:50 pm

I don't think your dog is going to go from in shape to completely out of shape in 3 weeks. Personally, I would rest the dog but to each their own. With that said, I would never recommend going against your vets advice. If the vet said let him hunt, then by all means who are we to argue? 8)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:55 pm

Can you split the difference and give the dog 10 days off and see how it goes? If he seems painful after that, I'd put him up for a longer while.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Dogs have biceps? Learn something new every day

khines2

Post by khines2 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:43 pm

shags wrote:Can you split the difference and give the dog 10 days off and see how it goes? If he seems painful after that, I'd put him up for a longer while.
That’s what I’m going to do.

ex28

Post by ex28 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:18 pm

khines2 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:43 pm
shags wrote:Can you split the difference and give the dog 10 days off and see how it goes? If he seems painful after that, I'd put him up for a longer while.
That’s what I’m going to do.

Just be careful when reevaluating the dog after 10 days. You could easily set him back and then those 10 days were wasted. Honestly I would either let him hunt and manage the pain or give him enough time to fully heal (if even possible). I'm not sure there is a middle ground to find in this situation.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Problem is that it is an eleven year old dog. I have had many old hunting dogs and by11 +- joint pain often becomes a regular, common problem. If the dog wanted to run , I let it run; if it wanted to rest , I let it rest. I did use an anti inflammatory.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett