Puppy white hair after fur flaked off

Drax123

Puppy white hair after fur flaked off

Post by Drax123 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:23 pm

I had a 11 week old GSP puppy that had some fur flake off in a really small spot on an entire liver colored head. There was not any blood at all when it happened and I would consider it very minor. It’s starting to grow back now a few weeks later, but it appears to be growing back as white hair rather than liver. Is this normal and will the hair in that spot always be white now or will it eventually turn back to liver? I can’t imagine a very minor flaking of some skin that caused a bit of fur to come off would cause the hair to stay white forever. I was just curious if anyone had any insight on this with a puppy this young and if the hair eventually grew back as liver or if it stayed white their entire life.

Garrison

Re: Puppy white hair after fur flaked off

Post by Garrison » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 pm

How big a spot? Any pictures? I have had a dog lose a spot due to a bout with demodectic mange. But the hair was white to begin with.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:03 pm

My son's Lab used to play rough with his husky pup and would often get nicks in his hide. They have all come back as small patches of white hair.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:31 am

I have pointers, so...pretty much all white hair, no matter what.

However I have seen the same thing with my horses, who are NOT white. In areas where there the hair and skin has been abraded, the hair has come back white. I understand that if you treat the exposed, affected area with an antibiotic ointment before the hair grows back in, it will generally come back in the same color as it used to be. I suspect it might be the same with dogs. Worth a try anyway...can't hurt anything.

My horses are pretty old and going gray in the muzzle and face anyway, so it is hard to tell anymore. I used to pull the white hairs out of my dark bay horse's mane, but I have pretty much given up on that anymore. I still need a hunk of mane to grab hold of to help hoist my fat butt up into the saddle and if I keep pulling the white ones out.... :?: :D

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 am

birddogger2 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:31 am
However I have seen the same thing with my horses, who are NOT white. In areas where there the hair and skin has been abraded, the hair has come back white.
That's the phenomenom behind freeze branding on horses is it not?