Puppy drools in dog box during transport

PoorMansWrangler

Puppy drools in dog box during transport

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:17 pm

Hey guys,
Had a question I was hoping to bounce off you. I have a 11 weeks old English pointer male pup. When I put him in the dog box to go on a walk/run, he immediately starts drooling, to the point where his chest and front legs are soaking wet. Part of me thinks this is common, as he is a young puppy, but reading online this seems like it could be separation anxiety in the making. Puppy is in a outside run during the day, and is crated in the house at night, with no issues so far. Anything I should be worried about or am I just being overly cautious? These have all been short rides (15-45 minutes).

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy drools in dog box during transport

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:30 pm

I think it is car sickness same as many people get. Solution for people is to sit where they can see the horizon way off in front of the car. Raising his crate might help or let him sit in front with you . :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Puppy+d ... e&ie=UTF-8
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Got one now that gets terribly carsick - thought she would grow out of it but hasn't. First one we have ever had. Really gets her worked up and drools everywhere. Tried Gravol but it didn't help.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:23 am

As a puppy my dog drooled so much he would soak his crate bedding. Tried some Dramamine and it worked very well for him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28 am

I've had car sickness for life. Dramamine puts me to sleep for 12 hours and I miss the whole trip. Annoying to hear it doesn't bother a dog at all. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 am

So, not having heard of Dramamine I looked it up. Which version of Dramamine were you using? One of them is identical to Gravol - 50 mg of dimenhydrinate, One is Ginger extract (Gravol has an equivalent to this as well) and the other is listed for Nausea, not Motion Sickness and has a different active ingredient.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:26 pm

old school gravol- never tried ginger based yet.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:30 pm

I used either the regular dramamine (dimenhydrinate) or the non drowsy (meclizine) whichever I had on hand. I don't remember for sure, so ask your vet or Dr. Google, but I think it was 1mg/lb

It didn't seem to affect my pup's activity level; at pit stops and at the end of the trips ( several to maybe 8 hours) he was his normal PITA little self. He eventually grew out of the carsickness.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:32 pm

I'll have to see if they have the meclazine in town - haven't tried it yet but the other two didn't work.