Swollen Lip

JAY

Swollen Lip

Post by JAY » Tue May 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Has anyone had their gundog get a swollen lip?

My 3 ½ year old GSP suddenly developed a very swollen lower lip the day after we spent the day in the field. I found a very tiny thorn and removed it. The next day his lip is still swollen. The vet says he might have part of the thorn deep inside his lip. The vet gave me pills which include a pain killer, an antibiotic, and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. I am supposed to return in 1 week and the vet will cut into his lip to “irrigate” it.

I sure do not like the idea of putting my dog under anesthesia or having surgery. I am hoping his lip will go back to normal within the week.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Swollen Lip

Post by Sharon » Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 pm

I hope his lip will go back to normal too, but if surgery is necessary then it's necessary.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:22 am

I would inspect it closely every day. It is not unusual for the dog's systems to try and eject any foreign body. A close inspection with a headlamp light and if possible a magnifying headset might reveal something trying to make its way out of an entrance hole.

RayG

JAY

Post by JAY » Wed May 19, 2021 9:41 am

My GSP is OK now.

He'd been taking antibiotics; and the mass slower shrank. After 5 days a thorn came out; and the mass disappeared in 3 days. The vet says no need for surgery to search for the source my dog's problem.