Gsp vet anxiety

mlese92

Gsp vet anxiety

Post by mlese92 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:16 pm

I have a gsp puppy whose 10 months old currently. I took him to the vet and am somewhat bothered by several things the doctor said. For one she basically had the attitude that it was completely unusual that I had a timid gsp. For reference I got him during the time where we could not go in the vet with the dog due to covid. MSo I have 0 idea how he was handled in there. By the time I was able to go in with him, the damage was done and he hated the place. Shaking, tucked tail, trying to avoid anyone, the whole gambit. In addition, they tried cutting his nails a few months back and it has completely traumatized him from that whole process. The vet claims he is a lost cause in that regard and I should be dosing him with trazadone which I do not prefer. She says I shouldn't even bring him into see them without dosing him prior. All this being said, what is the opinion on these drugs and tell me my gsp is not ruined because outside the vet he is getting better around strangers and is the ultimate actor when he wants to get out of something. The vets position was basically he has mental issues and they should be treated with medication before all. For reference, both of his parents were the most friendly, outgoing dogs I had met. So I want to think there is still plenty of time for him to grow into his anxiety as long as we continue working with him

NEhomer

Re: Gsp vet anxiety

Post by NEhomer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:10 am

That sounds absurd. Sure, it would be best if he didn't have that anxiety around the vet but what's it preventing the vet from doing?

I too recall years back when I was always in the examination room with my dogs. Now, they always take them out back and yeah, I sometimes have my questions about what they do with my pup and just why is it that I can no longer be present? This started pre-covid so it's not just a safety thing.

Seems more like a preferred lack of transparency.

best of luck to you~

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Wow, sounds like vet has a bad attitude. Maybe try out a new one, preferably AAHA certified.
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

jmez

Post by jmez » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:46 pm

Sounds like you need a new vet.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 pm

Change vets.

Some vets have the magic touch and they have patience and a lot of interest in the dogs. Find a vet like that and she will work your dog through it.

I find that sort of vet most often in the older vets, approaching retirement age. They were trained differently than the vets who are coming out of university right now, although there are occasionally younger vets who are animal oriented and who would be more patient with your dog.

And a scolding for you: if you had been handling your dog's feet every day from puppyhood, there wouldn't be an issue with toenail cutting. So start now. Every time you sit with your dog, play with his feet and toes and get him accustomed to that sort of handling.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:04 pm

Have you discussed the situation with the breeder?

Never hurts to get a second opinion, but if the dog is a basket case in other/all situations you may have your work cut out for you. I’ve had plenty of dogs that weren’t exactly fond of a vet’s office, we have always seemed to get through it without much fuss or pharmaceuticals.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:56 am

Had the same thing happen with one of my dogs who is timid. She had to go in the back last winter all by herself and get her shots. After her first or second appt she hated going to the vet and would even shake and wanted to get back in the vehicle when we got there.

It might just be a "thing" with timid dogs and it may be the vet didn't actually do anything terrible to your GSP. He might have just been scared in the strange new environment without you there to be his backup... especially as a puppy. But still sounds like the vet has a bad attitude...
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:44 pm

My 7 year old dog didn't like the vet visit after 7 years with no problem.
They changed the flooring.
It looks nice though, and to be fair , it was due for a change.
My 7 year old had never been on 'Lino' before.

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:47 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 pm
Change vets.

Some vets have the magic touch and they have patience and a lot of interest in the dogs. Find a vet like that and she will work your dog through it.

I find that sort of vet most often in the older vets, approaching retirement age. They were trained differently than the vets who are coming out of university right now, although there are occasionally younger vets who are animal oriented and who would be more patient with your dog.

And a scolding for you: if you had been handling your dog's feet every day from puppyhood, there wouldn't be an issue with toenail cutting. So start now. Every time you sit with your dog, play with his feet and toes and get him accustomed to that sort of handling.
Completely agree with the last part. I knew I should have been doing it from the start but I let people talk me out of it and convincing me to let the vet do it, so that is my fault. My girlfriend and I have been working with him to slowly get him used to it. He allows us to touch his feet until he sees the clippers and then its just a matter of being patient and we can sometimes get one nail and then we usually end the session because it noticeably stresses him. As for his anxiety everywhere outside the vet, he has become better with greeting people and allowing certain individuals to pet him. He is a curious dog and has no problem going up to people, it is just when they go to suddenly move that he freaks out, but I don't consider that to be unusual as they're a very high energy breed and stress comes with that in some environments. He's never shown any aggression and has definitely shown improvement now that he is approaching a year old so it is encouraging.