Solid Mass on Side (4yr Intact GSP)

Bmurray21

Solid Mass on Side (4yr Intact GSP)

Post by Bmurray21 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi All,

My name is Elizabeth and I have a 4yr old gsp named Jackson. I noticed a week ago a hard lump in between his back ribs that wasn’t there before. I took him to get a x-ray and the mass is not attached to his ribs and no indication of any broken bones. This is my first gsp and want advice if you have gone though something similar? I have spent $800 on the x-ray and next step would be a biopsy and ultrasound ($2500). He is fully stable, no change in demeanor or food intake, so I am wondering if there are any alternatives before committing to those options that may not yield a result as told by my vet. First pic is before the bump, second pics are of bump.

Thank you all in advance!

Best,
Beth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Solid Mass on Side (4yr Intact GSP)

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:00 pm

Could they do a needle biopsy. Could they just remove it and do a biopsy. Why does it need a ultrasound.
Did It just suddenly appear, or has it been growing for a while? If so how long has it been. I don't think it is related to the dog being a GSP. Chances are a benign tumor. Four years old seems a little young for tumors but they are common. I think I would look for a second opinion before doing the ultrasound..........Cj

jmez

Post by jmez » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:02 am

$800 for radiographs? $2500 for U/S and biopsy?

Find a new veterinarian.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:37 am

Just my way of looking at this. Give thought to the previous comments.

Dogs cost money , especially when their health becomes a problem. Personally ,I'd go with the biopsy and ultrasound ; I'd want to know what is going on. That is a young dog.
I could afford that , but if you can't, that makes the choice a huge problem. (The radiograph price matches what I would pay here in Ontario. The biopsy price is high. Never hurts to get a second opinion.) I always kept a "dog savings account" and recommend that to new dog owners. After 14 dogs, I knew that a dog's health can often go downhill and unexpected things can happen : like the time a dog was attacked by a deer and holes were ripped in the dog's lungs.

Then again, I just put down a 12 year old dog who was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. Vet wanted blood tests, ultrasound of the liver which I declined as the symptoms of Cushing's Disease were very clear.

PS Welcome to the forum. Let me know anytime I can help you with your use of the forum.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jmez

Post by jmez » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:54 pm

I'm a veterinarian $800 for radiographs and $2500 for U/S and biopsy is asinine.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk