Performance Bars

amaya

Performance Bars

Post by amaya » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:01 pm

Has anybody else tried the Purina performance bars? I used to give my pointers a shot of corn syrup after a hunt to aid in the recovery process.They hunt 3 and 4 days a week. I've seen a big difference on the 8 year old and not as big a differnce on my 1 year old pup. The dogs seem to like them.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:01 pm

i think they work.... assuming you can get your dog to eat them :) when our guys are hunting, they dont really care about eating, so the shot of corn syrup would have been easier for us to get them to ingest. i have also heard not to give them for the first time before a trial... if they are not used to the sudden boost of energy they will get, it can make them overly hyper and possibly "hard of hearing" when you need them to be listening especially well! ;) other than that, i have not heard anything negative.

sdgord

performance bars

Post by sdgord » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:32 am

Tried the performance bars for the first time on Wed the 13th. We were prarie grouse hunting and the amount of walking is amazing. My Gordons are picky eaters anyway, so I broke the bars up and hand fed each of them when they were finished with a run. The weim would eat tin cans so she is no problem getting to eat. I think the bars do help to give more energy. I also think that keeping your dogs in condition is a big part also. Our pheasant season starts tomorrow, with 90 thousand non resident hunters expected, I'm glad I have to work. SDGORD