vaccination question

smilinicon

vaccination question

Post by smilinicon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:23 pm

I will talk to my vet this week, but I thought I would pose a question here for some info (my vet seems to get a kick out of me asking him about specific items I research first).

I've recently learned about Leptospira and I note the following vaccinations are not completed yet on my pups record...

Lyme Disease
Leptospira
Coronavirus
Canine/Feline Giardiasis

seems to me that Lepto and Giardia can be a threat to sporting dogs and they should be vaccinated(?)

Would love to hear of any issues or limitations (age, ect..) on these shots.

thanks in advance.

Cary

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:19 pm

I do all but the rabies vaccination's myself and use a shot called Solo-Jec 7 that is supposed to cover most of the lepto strains. I think there is a vaccine specifically for lepto that is supposed to cover them all. But I'm pretty sure there are a couple of major strains that cause most of the issues. I don't know about the others on your list.

What parts of the country do you find Giardiasis?

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:12 pm

I don't find it anywhere... was just curious about the shots. I didn't know giardiasis was area specific. Be nice if I didn't have it around here.

thanks for the info

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:15 pm

I will talk to my vet this week, but I thought I would pose a question here for some info (my vet seems to get a kick out of me asking him about specific items I research first).

I've recently learned about Leptospira and I note the following vaccinations are not completed yet on my pups record...

Lyme Disease
Leptospira
Coronavirus
Canine/Feline Giardiasis

seems to me that Lepto and Giardia can be a threat to sporting dogs and they should be vaccinated(?)

Would love to hear of any issues or limitations (age, ect..) on these shots.
FWIW, I was recently doing a little reading on vaccines and came across some interesting perspectives. According to the AAHA (American Animal Hospital assoc.) there is no real test for Giardia, and the vaccine itself has not been proven as a preventative.

As for Coronavirus, they say the disease isn't significant. The vaccine is safe, there just isn't a disease to go with it.

Check out the article in the "DVM" a news magazine of Veterinary medicine. scroll down to where it says "didn't make the cut"

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/arti ... p?id=46546

I would still go with your vets recommendations for your particular region on vaccines though.

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:22 am

I started looking around online, when you put up the post and I found pretty much the same thing as Chaingang. Also, it seems there are pretty easy treatments for giardiasis if your dog happens to pick it up.