Does anyone else's dog eat everything?

grant
GDF Junkie

Does anyone else's dog eat everything?

Post by grant » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:36 pm

Strange topic, I know, but does anyone else's dog eat everything they can find. Bell and Carl, my GSPs eat everything. I do my best to keep things in their pen picked up, but they manage to find all kinds of things. Here are some of the things they have eaten:

- extension cord
- lots of stuffed toys
- the plastic yellow things that hold the electric fence off the posts.
- each others collars
- parts off the dog house
- the wood fence
- the list will continue to grow!

No telling when I’ll have to go to the vet to have something removed =(

Grant
Last edited by grant on Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boykinhntr

Post by boykinhntr » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:29 pm

I have a 3.5 month old Boykin that eats anything.(except his chew toys)

shoes
a candle
every sock in the house
a pen
my favorite hat
me
cigarette butts
etc...................

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:58 pm

Lost another collar today along with the plastic vent on the dog Igloo

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:03 am

A lot of times, dogs chew/eat when they are bored. Try giving them more human attention, either through playing, walking or just hanging out. The more attention they get, the better they behave. You might also want to try giving them some chewies...there are some out there now made of cornstarch...much better than the rawhides.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:05 am

I give the dogs TONS of attention. Maybe too much =), It seems like they go through raw hides like crazy. What else is good to give them that will last longer?

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:13 am

Try some beef bones from the butcher shop.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:15 am

Cool, I'll try that.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Grant, let me give a little advice here. If you are keeping these guys together, the best thing you could do for them is separate them and let them live alone. I see lots of dogs raised together and one will always be much more confident and ultimatly be the better dog. In ways you aren`t aware of probably, one will be constantly dominating the other. Saves on collars too. And, believe it or not, they don`t continally need something to entertain them. If you spend time with them, running them and working with them, they are fine living alone. They can have play time, but also need individual attention. Two dogs DO get greedy and really need to hold off on doing any bird training together until much older.
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:47 pm

Thanks Brenda!

Are you talking about different pens and stuff?

Grant

raven

Post by raven » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:53 am

MINE LIKE BLIND CORDS, MY KIDS CONTROLLER CORD FOR HIS GAME CUBE, BLANKETS, BUT WILL HE CHEW UP ALL HIS STUFF Nooooo WELL HE DID CHEW UP TWO OF HIS CRATE PILLOWS WHEN HE WAS A PUP

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:57 pm

Yes, living in separte pens. (ESP. if she is now in heat.) There is no way of knowing when each female ovulats, so anytime can be a ad time. But for a dominance issue they are MUCH better off living separate. Dogs grow up much more confident if one isn`t getting beat down constantly.
brenda

Lisalongun

Post by Lisalongun » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:24 pm

Also gives them time to think about things if you have just been out training a new exercise etc. They will go back and really mull over what has just happened. Very useful when you come across a problem with a particular command (technical term is 'spontaneous recovery')

Also I think what is happening when they find things and decide to chew/eat them, maybe is is because there is competition to own that object.

I know with my dogs if something is left in the kitchen, the youngster will pick it up (the others won't) but because the top bitch wants the item, she will go up to him and try and take it off him. If he doesn't want to give it up he will run and hide and then chew it up. If he is left on his own he merely picks the item up and takes it to his bed, but will not chew it up.

Lisa

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:00 pm

Fletcher eats anything you put in his crate with him. Guess he thinks he is exacting revenge by chewing up his dog bed, when all he's really doing is making his crate less comfortable. He also licks the bars on his crate sometimes :?: Just when he's hanging out inside it. Weirdo. A friend of mine used to have a Boykin that ate, literally, anything and everything. Once ate a hole about 2 feet tall through an entire wall. And the door to the room was open. Yikes.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:19 pm

Have you tried giving everything in your house a good coating of bitter apple spray? I'm definately going to spray down all my electrical cords and table/chair legs with the stuff before I get pup home.

Wireviz_lady

eating

Post by Wireviz_lady » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:25 pm

My Grace who is now 6 yrs old will still eat cigarette butts. and anything else she can find. I am lucky I have never had to have any blockages removed.

crow

Post by crow » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:56 am

It is mean but it works to stop chewing. I take the things my dog chews on and put hot sauce on them and i mean real hot sauce. after 2 or 3 times of this they wont chew on anything. I know its mean but it works better than anything else and it is real cheap.

schultz's honor

Post by schultz's honor » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:56 am

sound like dizzy's dog eats everything too :)

My two GSP's chew on everything also.

Just glad they are not like our lab, she eats poop.
Can't break her of that filthy habit

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:17 am

Holy revived thread!!! This is like 3 years old!

rnbiii

Post by rnbiii » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 am

I'll join in on this one too. I chew on lots of stuff too (pens, sunglasses, cellphone) and I haven't figured out how to keep myself from doing it. :lol: Maybe I'll try some of the suggestions given to help with the dogs and see if that works.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:33 am

My dog will eat most kinds of food. He doesn't eat things he can't digest. Of course, he's a Llewellin Setter which makes him smarter than others, especially the "offbrand" breeds like you are discussing. :lol:
big steve

3forme

Post by 3forme » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:17 pm

My little turd got another sock this morning am waiting to see how this turns out,last time cost me 150 for the vet to make the dog throw it up today I thought I would just get him to throw it up myself NO DICE gave him Ipecap syrup followed by a shot of Hydrogen Peroxide and he acted as if nothing happened all day :? He is on his way to being a kennel dog @ 5 mos he just dont get it that he is not supposed to be chewing and eating stuff :twisted: he has heard and felt thunder coming down on him quite a few times but he comes back for more :evil:

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:45 pm

crow wrote:It is mean but it works to stop chewing. I take the things my dog chews on and put hot sauce on them and i mean real hot sauce. after 2 or 3 times of this they wont chew on anything. I know its mean but it works better than anything else and it is real cheap.
Just when you think you have a plan. Pete used to eat jalapeno pepper's! Come to think of it, Pete ate everything!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

mattoleriver

Post by mattoleriver » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Just this morning I came across an old full sized x-ray that was shot the day my dog ate gravel.
I went to a gravel pit to do some target shooting and when I finished I let the dog run for awhile. Pretty soon I noticed him sitting right on top of a huge pile of crushed gravel chomping it down just like it was kibble. I felt his belly and it felt like an overstuffed bean bag. Of course it was Sunday so we had to go to the very expensive emergency vet to get him cleaned out. That was the only time that particular dog ate anything that was definitely not food.
Another time I was cooking something with a hamhock in it. I used a pair of tongs to pull the boiling hot hamhock out of the pot but unfortunately dropped the darn thing on the kitchen floor. Quick as a flash one of the dogs was on it and swallowed it in one gulp. It must have hurt like he!! because it barely had time to reach bottom before being vomited right back up. That dog was so greedy I'm surprised she didn't swallow it again.
George

ward myers

yup

Post by ward myers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:19 pm

loaf of bread ontop of refrigerator
fish food on top of fish tank
grant a empty milk jug with a few rocks in it is a great boredom reliever

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:01 pm

My dog stopped chewing on stuff when I got a second. They usually are wrestling to much to think about chewing.

If I can't get them out to work for 3-4 days I'll give them those jerky cow knuckles. It takes them a good 3-4 hours to get bored of digging out the marrow...