Who adds things to their dogs food?

12 Volt Man

Who adds things to their dogs food?

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:17 am

Recent posts mentioned adding fat or bacon grease to the dogs food. I do this from time to time. I have also read elsewhere of people adding vegetable oil to the food. I have even seen karo syrup mentioned. When I was a kid, my dad would add a raw egg to our dog's food sometimes.

Do you add anything to your dogs food on a regular basis? If so, What and Why??

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:22 am

If I need to have Justus eat NOW, then sometimes I'll add just a little bit of olive oil. I'd use safflour oil but that stuff is a lot more expensive and the nutritional information is VERY similar to light olive oil.

Just enough to barely coat the food and get him interested in the feed bowl.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:00 am

I add stuff on a regular basis a couple times a week, and also whenever I need him to eat right away. Safflower oil is fantastic for their coat, but like Ayres said it's pricey.

I add several different things, depending on what I have in the house. Once in a while I drain sausage grease from the pan into his bowl but that's a treat. I normally add either raw egg (my understanding is that the bacteria does not affect them, therefore dogs cannot get salmonella poisoning, someone correct me if I am wrong), or tuna canned in oil or canned salmon. I do it for an extra shot of protein and healthy fat, and because between the Canidae and the extra omegas in fish and eggs my dog has a shiny, healthy coat and no skin problems. He also gets fish oil capsules for his "cookie" sometimes, and he loves those too.

icefire

Post by icefire » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:52 am

i will add a national product called energy pack when the dogs are working hard and i need to get more calories into them. it runs like 44% pork fat and will make a kind of "gravy".

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:00 pm

fish oil or vitamin E caplets if i have them on hand. then the bacon or sausage drippings and any oil we have in the house if i dont have the bacon/sausage grease. eric puts protein powder in their food. and then just whatever else i can think of to put weight on my skinny guy!!

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:00 pm

Food additives are a great thing for dogs. They need the fat intake, they also need the creatine form raw meat.

We use Veg. oil, cheap and available. I also used a product called Impact, I swear by it! but its hard to get here in OK. We just ordered Nationals brand here too, will see how that goes.

I also use a additive after the dogs workout. to rebuild muscle. Bare in mind this is for hard working animals. Niot needed for the general hunting dog.

For a one dog household that hunts several times a week, you will need something to help the dog along. You will notice the weight drop after a hard week. Additives will greatly helpout.

During trial season I use the Impact in theor water to make them drink 20 minutes before their run.

Phil
REO

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:43 am

I picked up some safflower oil tonite. I'll try that for a while. It was almost 4 dollars for quart size.

How much are you guys adding to the food?

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:17 am

Just enough to coat the food. Probably a tablespoon or two. If the safflour oil is that expensive, you may want to think about switching over to extra virgin olive oil. Same basic stuff when it comes to the nutritional labels (fats, saturated fats, etc.). Just a little different oil.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:11 am

I have been using Oomph for several years now. 1 Tablespoon over the dry food and Rusti's coat looks like a seal. Slick and shiney, even when she is nursing the wild 10.

She loves tuna oil, and gets it as often as my guys eat tuna. She also likes the water from the tuna.

Right now, we are feeding her puppy food with a can of adult sliced beef, chicken, or whatever on top. All are great for milk production.

Pat

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:58 pm

I give my dogs derma caps (fish herring oil) and I should give them safflour oil. I've read where older dogs have a harder time asorbing the omega's in most dog foods so supplements help. Not only does it help kept they're coats shinnery but it helps to heal a wound faster. I don't give my dogs eggs unless they are cook it's easier to digest and asorbed.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152