Spay/Neuter question - actually, for those with intact dogs

Have you had health problems with your seniors?

yes - intact female with breast cancer
20%
yes - intact female ended up with pyo
5%
yes- both female maladies
10%
yes - intact male got prostate cancer
No votes
yes - intact male got testicular cancer
No votes
yes - both male maladies
No votes
NO - no problems with reproductive issues with intact seniors!
65%

Total votes: 20

Theresa

Spay/Neuter question - actually, for those with intact dogs

Post by Theresa » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:46 pm

How many keep their dogs into old age intact?

Who had experienced in the intact males testicular cancer or prostate cancer?

Who has experienced pyometra or breast cancer in an intact senior matron?

I have read both pro-alter and con-alter information, but I just wanted to know the experience of this group.

[Edited to add the last option.]

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:41 pm

I have never neutered a dog and have had one case of cancer out of somewhere near 50 dogs. There is recent evidense that it may have little effect on reducing problems and in some cases increase the risk.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:05 am

My brother just went through a breast cancer ordeal with his aging pointer. He ended up spending a pretty penny for a double mastectomy surgery and went ahead and had her spayed at the same time. All of my females have been spayed and I have never had any problems.

Sorno

Post by Sorno » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 am

My old girl starting having issues when she was 7 almost 8. She was having stomach issues and bowel issues. I had her spade and that ended all the problems. She is now 10 and is better then when she was 8.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 pm

I have a 10 year old GSP that had two bouts with Prostate infection (not cancer), and the second time was quite severe and he almost didn't make it. Had him neutered, hopefully putting an end to that worry..

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:24 am

I have neutered /spayed my last 2 GSP's at 6 months. I will never do it that early again. My current pup is almost a year old and still intact.

Despite what some folks will say, I firmly believe that these dogs need the testosterone/estrogen to fully develop muscles and strengthen ligaments. These are working/hunting dogs and what is advocated by vets and animal groups to spay/neuter early is for lap dogs. They however, do not make the distinction. It’s up to the owner. ……………

markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:24 pm

All I can add is that when my bitch comes in season, she ends up with a whopper of a false pregancy. I've been asked quite often lately if she just had puppies as she's full of milk and leaking all over. If I wasn't going to breed her, she'd be spayed.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Both of my previously intact females have had mammory cancer and both have had more than one surgery. Both are now spayed and one seems to be still having issues...

Terry

Post by Terry » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:50 pm

I have two labs, both intact male (2 years) and female (1 years) old. I went to two different vets when I first bought my male (trying to find one I liked). The first one said...have him altered, it won't make any diffference. (I haven't decided about breeding yet) After I mentioned I wasn't planning to have him altered yet, he told me he would mature differently, more muscle and a heavier bone structure. Didn't ask about my female.

Haven't had any health trouble but they are both young so it doesn't really count.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:07 am

As usual, I agree with Ezzy. He's smart because he thinks like me. I have had many male dogs who died intact and old and never had related cancers etc. :wink:
big steve

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:04 am

I apologize if this is getting off topic but my BIG issue recently with intact males, NOT referring to my own dogs, are the owners who don't/can't keep them confined to their own property.

I have 4 dogs contained in a little over an acre by an invisible fence. That's what fits in our neighborhood, our pocket book, and works great for us. However, I'm ready to load the neighbors intact males with bird shot when they wander over onto our property. This is primarily due to pure negligence on the owners part of these dogs - we've had a few labs and a husky wander in. They pi** on my flowers and landscaping and get confrontational with my males. I do have two intact females and it isn't fair I should have to worry about all the dogs in town - which has a leash law. We do not live in a rural area either.

Therefore, if you cannot contain and control your intacts, then NEUTER/SPAY!!!

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:50 pm

My bf has a 5 yo female with mammary cancer. She always had false pregnancies and last year I found 3 pea-sized lumps, she was spayed & 6 mammary glands removed.
She just got home last night from a second surgery to remove another lump that recurred where a gland was removed(larger than the first, grew quickly), with the speed it came back we were given a year or so more with her. :cry:
Although she is not mine, she has lived with me for 4 years now, an awesome field dog & great pet....I'm quite attached to her, hard to face losing such a young, nice dog.
As soon as she's healed I plan on getting her some quail, as I have access to regulated retriever-training grounds!!! We will hunt all spring & summer long........

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:12 am

"Therefore, if you cannot contain and control your intacts, then NEUTER/SPAY!!!"

I agree, I have mine fenced, but I get the same problem with some of the neighborhood dogs in the front of my house, and they come up in back and like to fence fight with my male. It is a real pain when people let there dogs run loose even if they aren't spayed or neutered.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 am

I had two seniors - male was altered and no problems - lived to 12, died of renal failure, female was not altered, and no problems - died of pancreas cancer at age 10.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon May 14, 2007 11:16 am

You need to do this as a two part one for females and one for males

My significant other his setter we have had one female ..she got mammery canceer showed up quickly and got hugh fast she was older

Had a male setter I was shaving him and in the process one of his testicles was rock hard

had one female she got pymetria (sp?)

most no problem but you have enough dogs it isn't a matter of If it is a matter of When
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:41 am

Top posting this for the new comers to the board.....
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

GL

Post by GL » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:19 pm

I've had three GSPs all females. 2 were spayed after the first litters 2-2 1/2 years old and lived to old age. One developed Urinary incontenence at around 6 years old. A completely disgusting problem but controlable with expensive meds.

Kept a pup from the last litter and had her spayed at 5 months.

I had numerous behavioral problems with this dog who was affraid of everything and everyone and I believe it was directly caused by failing to allow her to mature intact. I have never had a dog affraid of anything and there sure was no good reason for this that she learned from us or her mates.

She died of Mammary cancer at age 4 and although it was very sad it was also a blessing as I was always worried and could not trust her with the fear complex. Friends would come over and two dogs were happy to see them and to have company and this one would run and hide.

Gary