Excessively long toe nails need help.

QwikDraw

Excessively long toe nails need help.

Post by QwikDraw » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:51 am

Recently I took in a 7 year GWP from a older couple who was moving south and could not take her with. She is really a sweet heart but is overweight. I want to start bringing her with when I go train my other dogs just to get her in shape but her toe nails are so long I'm afraid right now it will hurt her to take out running.
All the nails are long, she has one that has curled sideways. I've tried to trim them but she goes nuts when I try to touch her feet, I mean really nuts, screaming, growling, nipping and all out biting. They must really bother her.
What should I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:58 am

get a vet or someone to help hold her. you can also get an axiety medication from the vet that should calm her a bit. since she is new to your family, you really need to scold the biting and growling behavior. let her know that it won't be tolerated under any circumstances. chances are that's why they are as long as they are now. she would start that behavior and the elderly folks didn't want to fight with her to trim them. sounds like you are gonna need help with handling her though.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:02 am

remember she is learning her new pack and pack order. you must be the alpha dog and leader of the pack. don't let her fight or scare you off. her nails are probably really uncomfortable for her now, but you are gonna make them feel better when you groom her and she will realize it after you are done.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:09 am

sorry for all the replies, but one last thought. if she was a lazy inside dog with previous owners, chances are her pads on her feet are a little soft for working cover. if you live in a neighborhood or on a quiet street, put her on leash and walk her down the street. this time of year you shouldn't have to be concerned with heat of the asphalt, and it will help toughen her pads and file her nails naturally.

Theresa

Depending.........

Post by Theresa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 am

Depending on how fast you want to get the nails done...

You can either slowly condition her to accept nail trims, or git it all over with in one fell swoop.

What sort of condition is she in? I know you said porky, but how're the teeth? You may find it just easier to knock her out and while under getting her teeth done have the nails wacked short. Then, you will have time to gradually condition her to having her feet and nails worked on while they are growing out.

Or, you could just go slowly, trying various methods like dremel to get the nails down to a healthy length. Sometimes a different setting -ie in the bathtub looking like a drowned rat - will throw her off so that you can get the nails done while she is disoriented.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 pm

If her nails are as long as you indicate I would take her to a vet and do the nails, teeth, and have her health checked. Then you will have to work with her every few days to keep her nails in shape. Don't wait till they are needing trimming again.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

QwikDraw

Post by QwikDraw » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, I just made an appoitment with my vet, she is going in tomorrow morn, he is going to sedate her and trim them back.
I just have never seen a dog with toe nails this long. All my dogs get trimmed as needed from the time they are pups and I think just running them everyday keeps them short and in shape. This poor girl has just been a couch hound for the last few years, only exercise is getting up to eat and going out to relieve herself and it appears that the first time she had a bath and was brushed was the day I brought her home.
But, like I said before she really is a sweetheart and I could not just let her get left behind or end up in a shelter.

Theresa

Not sure if you will need this but......

Post by Theresa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm

Make sure you indicate that you want the nails cut past the quick, ie 'show short'. Some vets .. or the techs that do the clipping while the dog is out, only trim them, not get them healthy SHORT -which in this case sounds like cutting the quicks. Kudos for taking this gal in and rescuing her!

msparks

Post by msparks » Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 am

My GSP has really accepted the dremel tool technique.

With clippers, she would freak, dance around, whine and what not. Now, she just lies on her side and lets me get them. They are all nice and round and look good.

Might want to look into that method for the future.

Good luck

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:22 am

I agree with not putting up with resistance while trimming nails to a certain extent. It worked with Shooter. With Buffy, the 'my way or the highway' approach made matters worse. She eventually became terrified of having her nails trimmed. The mere sight of the dremel sent her running with her tail tucked. It meant she was about to get into a wrestling match with Dad, and Dad was not going to be happy.

SO - I backed off. I switched back to clippers since they didn't have a motor to alarm her. I'd do a few nails until she got nervous, then backed off. Waited a few minutes, did a few more. We eventually worked back to where I could trim her nails fairly readily with the clippers. THEN I worked the dremel tool in. We're now where I initially wanted her to be, she lets me trim her nails without a whole lot of fighting.

Also - I found with her that keeping her on her feet made a WORLD of difference. Unlike our other dogs, she did not like being laid on her side to have her nails trimmed. I stand her up and pull each leg behind her to trim them and it's much, MUCH easier.

msparks

Post by msparks » Fri May 11, 2007 4:51 pm

phermes1 wrote:
Also - I found with her that keeping her on her feet made a WORLD of difference. Unlike our other dogs, she did not like being laid on her side to have her nails trimmed. I stand her up and pull each leg behind her to trim them and it's much, MUCH easier.
That's how my basset hound was. You couldn't only do it standing up.

Every couple weeks I would grab the clippers, and take him on a walk. I would have him stand, then cock his leg back (like shoeing a horse) clip a few, then walk a little, clip a few, then walk a little. Was the only way he would let you do it.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri May 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Mine hates the clippers, but tolerates the dremel with cut off wheel.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 pm

Make sure you indicate that you want the nails cut past the quick, ie 'show short'.

What do you guys do when you cut them this short to stop the bleeding? I've had a few mishaps with the pup like this and I can never get them to quit bleeding for a while. Any tips?

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Fri May 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Oh yeah, I can't figure out how to quote on this thing too, sorry Theresa

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat May 12, 2007 7:07 am

you could probably find a sma;; jar of "Quickstop" powder, either at a pet supply store or from your vet, to stop the bleeding. However, in a pinch, wheat flour works well also.

msparks

Post by msparks » Sat May 12, 2007 7:51 am

I always just use flour. Works great.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 am

I have used corn starch with good result also - this for a lil nick of the quick. If you are wacking the nails - cutting the quick 'show short' - you likely want the vet to do it and you for sure want the real deal, ie Quick stop powder. JMHO!

3forme

Post by 3forme » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:16 am

I am assuiming cutting the Quik is equivalent of hus getting our nails ripped in half ? By cutting excessive toe nail length a bit at a time will the quik receed enough where you can get a short nail in a matter of a couple weeks? Say by cutting 1/8 " off every 2 days or so?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:23 pm

your vet can sedate her and dremel them back while she is asleep. It only takes a few minutes and the sedation would be about $40 - $50 At our clinic if injectable...
Then you can work with her to get her to accept it, after the real problem is over...

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Any update? How's the dog doing? How's her nails?
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50 pm

3forme,

The only thing about doing that is you wont get 1/8 or an inch off every 2 days. Because you have to let the nail heal, and the quik recede which takes time(There quick is inside their nail). By putting them out and cutting them to show size you cut out about 2+ months work, and a bunch of extra pain in the conditioning process. Not to mention they will heal after being cut fast so you can start to work in getting the rest of the dog into good health. Plus the nails wont hurt her when she walks after they heal.

Theresa

You can do it slowly...

Post by Theresa » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:28 am

3forme, I have receeded quicks in the manner you describe; I used the black nail file and filed every 2 days, right down to the quick (which is almost like a pencil eraser when you get that close to it): it takes awhile is all, and in bad cases I prefer to anesthetize and wack the nails- I just feel its healthier for the pasterns and to avoid arthritis in the pastern down the road.

And where IS the update on this dog! We are all wanting to know! :lol:
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:47 pm

For people who kennel their dogs outdoors the problem can be solved by putting a broom finish on your concrete slab. I never have to trim nails or condition pads. It does make cleanup a bit harder but to me it's worth the trade off.

GL

Post by GL » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:27 am

It sure would be nice if someone could show close up photos of what the nails should look like, pup and adult.

I am trimming the pup every few days when they get pointed again because she is not allowed on the road EVER and only walks in grass and woods.

I am amazed at how fast they grow and get sharp points but want to keep them where they need to be. She does not mind trimming at all so it is simple for me.

Here!

Gary