Whats the best Puppy food?

Stump

Whats the best Puppy food?

Post by Stump » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:45 am

Im feeding My GSP science Diet larg breed puppy, and he's like real skinny and he,s been wormed and all that he just dosen't like the taste of the food he hardly eats Ideas?

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:35 am

You shouldn't have to be very smart to realize that you need to switch to another brand. You are using a product that most people realize is a poor-quality product. Use a quality food like Diamond, Purina, Black Gold etc. If the pup is over four months old, most of us would feed an adult high protein formula, perhaps 26-18. Best regards,
big steve

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:52 am

How old is your pup and how skinny is "REAL" skinny? IMO a little on the lean side is ideal and certainly better than too chunky.

I have no experience with Science Diet, but have heard more bad than good from those that have tried it. If you are sure there are no other health issues than I would opt to try another brand as well.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:43 am

Big Steve gave you some good ideas of food to try. When I say try I mean you have to feed 2-4 big bags to see how the pup does on it. Really the best food out there is whatever your dog does the best on. Try some different brands out and see how he does and good luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:46 am

I have been feeding eukanuba sporting. Mine seem to be doing pretty well on it.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:28 am

I fed Science Diet to my V early on. I didn't have very good results. I do know people that swear by it.

Pro Plan, Diamond, Sam's Exceed, PMI, Euk, etc.

One thing: it's better for your pup to be a little skinny than it is for him to be fat.

Best regards, Greg J.

Stump

Post by Stump » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:23 pm

So Should I feed large breed or regular puppy food to a GSP? Im going to go with dimond next.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:28 pm

Just pick one and stay with it. The feeds on the market are all pretty good or they wouldn't be there. A post like this will tell you everyones opinion but will not tell you which is best since everyone has a different idea. For a matter of fact there probably is no one brend that is best.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bklyn hunter

Post by bklyn hunter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:04 am

the breeder i got my vizsla from was feeding her diamond but in ny i can't find it or in local area anyway so i started her on natural choice lamb and rice forumal from nutro (dry that is )she likes it.i could also go with something cheaper but she is doing fine on it.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:58 pm

Stump,

I feed my GSP Diamond Puppy, when she was young. At six months she decided she liked the Diamond Premium, I've had her on it ever since. She is one solid little gal.

Stump

Post by Stump » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:52 pm

Holy crap, I bought a bag of dimond puppy and mixed it with the old food. he ate all the dimond and left all the other. I think I found the new food!! thanks

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Most dogs will do very well on most of the quality brands. It's hard to beat Diamond which has good quality at a fair price. I have fed Diamond Premium (26-18) to my two adult dogs for many years with great results. If I worked my dogs harder, I might occas use some Dia Performance. I agree with GWG that if the pup is 6 mos old, feed it Dia. Premium. Occas, you may have a dog that has problems with any good quality brand, but why pay more for products that are not any better? :)
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:50 pm

(26-18) :lol:
big steve

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Oh well, maybe that certain smiley face just had to be there!
big steve

MikeB

Puppy Food

Post by MikeB » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 pm

You live in an area where there are LOTS of good choices in the towns around you.

Here is the CANIDAE dealer listing for your area.

http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

I am a huge fan of CANIDAE, No large breed formula needed. It has excellent ingredients, higher calorie than most foods and excellent Protein/Fat percentage for growing pups.

Check out their site. http://www.canidae.com

Look at Diamond Naturals for better ingredients than the original Diamond formula.

Also the Kirkland Chicken /Rice formula at Costco is great food for your pup too. Very affordable and in 40# bag.

If after feeding a higher quality food for 3 months your pup doesn't add some weight and look less skinnny then I would add PROZYME digestive aid to each meal. A lot of dogs need help in the digestion dept and you will see a HUGE difference if food alone doesn't work.

PROZYME - http://www.prozymeproducts.com