Red Rings on belly

bfd_dan

Red Rings on belly

Post by bfd_dan » Fri May 11, 2007 6:19 am

Quick question, was running my pup all over last weekend (field work and water work) and when we got him home he had 6 or 8 little red rings about 1/2" diameter they almost looked like blood. I thought he just ran through some thorns and went to clean off the blood, but it wasn't blood, looks like irritated skin. Figured I would give it a week. They are getting lighter but still present. ANyone have any ideas? He was chained out for several hours, would fire ants do something like that? They are on the hairless (or less hair) region around his male "stuff"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 11, 2007 7:19 am

RING WORM is the first thing that comes to mind and it will spread to humans..easy to take care of but go toyour local pharmacisit and he can direct you to a product that will make it go away...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kiddcline

yep

Post by kiddcline » Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 am

Ringworm for sure. Iwouldn't let anyone play with her until tou get it taken care of.
Cam

Pryor Creek Okie

Re: yep

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 am

kiddcline wrote:Iwouldn't let anyone play with her until tou get it taken care of.
Explaining how your children got ringworm from the family pet can be pretty embarassing!

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Fri May 11, 2007 9:26 am

It won't hurt anything but it looks gross.
Cam

wired4birds

Post by wired4birds » Fri May 11, 2007 10:38 am

My dog had the same thing 4 days ago, it went from circles to a rash and now it is almost gone. I figured it must be some sort of insect attack.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Fri May 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Another possibility is "noSeeEms" which are like little nats that swarm together. These little guys attack the pink bellies and around the eyes of our furry friends. Pretty harmless and the dogs don't even seem to itch from them. The red marks typically go away after a few days.

wired4birds

Post by wired4birds » Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 pm

I would agree with dhondtm, my gwp had the marks by his eyes too.

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Fri May 11, 2007 3:11 pm

I hate those bugs. I forgot all about them. They're bad at Antelope Island. Almost fell off my horse trying to swat at the things.
Cam

j-tatro

Post by j-tatro » Fri May 11, 2007 5:59 pm

Take it from a wrestler if it is ringworm, Lamisill? is the best thing without a prescription. Well for people, prolly dogs also.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:25 am

Do you have deer ticks in your area?? Sounds to me like a bulls eye rash, and that is lymes. I found a deer tick on Vern and a bulls eye rash, took him immediately to the vet, and he is on Amoxycillin twice a day for two weeks. According to my Vet, the Lymes Test is not effective until 6 weeks after the dog contracts it. Ticks have been a huge problem in Minnesota this year.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Mon May 14, 2007 10:01 am

Horse flies! In my experience, if the red rings weren't there before, and just showed up, its a fly bite.

I have had ringworm here too - rescued a kitten and got ringworm as a bonus! What worked QUICKLY for me was to paint each ring with fingernail polish.

Sorno

Post by Sorno » Mon May 14, 2007 11:36 am

My new puppy had these little red rings as described. I let them go for the first day then called the vet he said if they don't go down go away in 24hours bring her in. By the time the 24 hours were up you could barely see anything. a couple days went past and she got them again. I called the vet and said the same thing but will look at her when her shots are due this coming Saturday. He things it could just be an irritation from some burn weed or something like that. She has got them twice and they have gone away both times in 24 hours.