Vent!!!

grant
GDF Junkie

Vent!!!

Post by grant » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:39 am

:twisted:

Lindsay took Kage to the veterinary hospital today to get his rabies shot. I had to work, so I asked Lindsay to tell them that he just needs his rabies shot and that he is up to date.

The vet walked in and started lecturing Lindsay on how breeders/do-it-yourself'ers give their dog crap, and you have to be licensed to get the vaccines. They also stated that we're not giving our dogs the same quality vaccine that they are getting, by suggesting that our drugs are over the counter versus a prescription type from them.

I mentioned to them before that I would be taking care of most of the easy vaccinations, they sounded like they did not want to see bell at all.

That ticks me off BAD! Its sad to say, because there is one doc. there that is nice, but Lins and I are moving to a new vet. I'll have my records moved in a day of two.

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:50 pm

I Take it as you think the Vet is up in the night? Me Too! I get all my vacines from my vet and give them myself. Rabies has to be done by them for other reasons. Nothing wrong with letting a vet check the dogs over, but saying we give them Crap???!!!!

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:14 pm

Ugh, poor Lindsay. Sucks to be badgered.

However, I can see a vet being worried about "do-it-yourselfers." I'm sure they see their fair share of cases in which a well-meaning idiot or a cheap hillbilly tried to do something themselves, and the dog ended up being rushed to the vet because they screwed it up. At the same time though, if it's really the dog's well-being they are concerned about, it would have been far more appropriate to ask what brands/kinds of vaccines you are giving, how, etc, to see if you are doing it right. How does he know you're not giving a good quality vaccine if he doesn't even bother to ask about it? I'd be as wary about a vet who launches into a diatribe without the whole story as much as I would be about a vet who doesn't question at all a client's capability and knowledge about even basic health care.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this vet is more concerned about his bottom line than about your dogs.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:41 pm

I'm with you, Grant...pack up and head somewhere else! The vacs. that I give my dogs are the EXACT ones used in vets. offices...have they not heard of Revival Animal Health or Drs. Foster and Smith, just to name a few??? As for the rabies vaccine, that depends on the state you live in. I can, and do, give my dogs their rabies...I have the certificates proving I gave them. The only thing I don't get is the tags. That is simply bull#$%#, but like Colleen mentioned, it's all about the money now-a-days, isn't it!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:32 am

Yup, I'd move if I were you. Sounds like you can't trust that vet to be responsible to your dogs more than their own bottom line. There are good vets out there (I got into a good vet from good advice to check them all out personally before even bringing pup home) so I'm sure you'll be able to find one that has the well being of Bell and Kage as a higher priority than the cashflow.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:53 pm

Unfortunately folks, there are plenty out there like the one Grant ran in to!

Right now there is a class action suit against many internet vaccine providers, to make them cease and desist business. Been going on for years and probably wont do a thing!

What this and many clinitians are talking about is this when ti comes to vaccines........ And I am not sticking up for the vet in this situation at all. I do think he is wrong for what happened!

Many of these companies call Veterinarian clinics and buy all their vaccs and meds that are about to expire in a months time or so. THey sell it for a lesser cost or dont bother to tell the buyer at all.

They also have Vets on the payroll writing scripts or contract them to do so for a percentage of the gross. Unethical and illegal here!

I am sure you could find one that is willing to take care fo you Grant, they are not all bad!

Patty,

THe only thing you have to worry about in giving your own Rabies is crossing state lines with the dogs. An AG officer will not honor a TAG, with out a receipt from a Doctor. Otherwise you are ok .

Phil
REO

ward myers

shots

Post by ward myers » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:43 pm

i give all my own shots i buy cutter brand & use cattle ivermecton for heartworms
i hunted with a vet & he used to ask me to bring dogs in at no charge to double check for heartworms & they were always clean but i do pay for them to do rabies as i cross state lines for hunting trips

ward myers

worms

Post by ward myers » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:45 pm

only worm problem i had was micronda worms
phill if you read this ask gayle about ?
im shure that will get her curiosty up

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:09 am

Woops,

What I didn't say is the Vaccs you can get over the counter are the very same ones we buy! Dont listen to them if they try to tell you any different! THe only thing we know for sure is they have never been away from a cooling aparatus.

What you might want to get a profesional opinion on is which ones to use, as far as 3, 5 or 7 ways. Killed or live virus etc.

Ward,

She is going to have to get back to you on that one!! :roll:

Phil
REO

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:11 pm

Grant

It's important to find a Vet. you can trust. I've had my for 20 years and he has help me with many health issue my old Goldens have had. He has become a friend as well as my dogs Vet. It's not just about vaccines when you go to the Vet. it's about any health issues your hunting partner may have, so find one who will work with you to keep them healthy. There are alot of them out there, so do like Steven and shop around until you find one you like.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152